Grahamston United, Falkirk

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 88940 80750, map


Address

Bute Street, Falkirk
Stirling
Scotland

Description

Grahamston United, Falkirk

Construction materials: Stone - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church was formerly the Parish Church of Grahamston, but is now known as Grahamston United Church. It was built in 1874-5 to the design of T. B. McFadzen. The church is an early French Gothic design, and features a nave with north and south aisles, each composed of three transeptal bays. At the west end of the north aisle is a low tower with steep pyramid roof. At the end of the south aisle is a 33. 5 metre tall steeple, its tower pierced by tall belfry openings. There is a slated octagonal spire rising between spirelets on the corners of the tower. The front, west gable of the nave features five windows, which light the vestibule. Above these are two taller windows. The interior features 'wagon' roofs over the nave and each bay of the aisles. There is a panelled gallery along the sides and west end. Iron columns support the galleries and go on to support the roof. A large organ fills the east end and a Gothic pulpit is also present. There are various stained glass windows, from 1875 to 1999. A Gothic church hall of 1897 is situated to the north. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use. Researched and written by J. Dowling, 17/9/03 and 7/11/03.

Aisle

Date: 1874-5

Belfry

Gallery

Stained Glass

Nave

Spire

Steeple

Tower

Transept


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1874 to 1875)
    People: Peddie & Kinnear