Free Gaelic Church Site

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 48239 63795, map


Address

Shuttle Street
Paisley
Renfrew
Scotland

Description

Free Gaelic Church Site

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church was built as a result of the Disruption when those in favour of the Free Church split away from the mother Gaelic Church in Oakshaw. Subsequently, some time after the Reunification in 1929, the church was vacated by the Church of Scotland and was taken over by an Evangelical congregation. When they moved to a more modern building it was acquired by Paisley University who converted it to a lecture hall. It has grey sandstone walls and a slate roof, and is in good condition and well maintained. Researched by P. Kerr, compiled by J. Dowling, 29/3/2004. There was no sign of this building at the site in 2018


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1849)

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Renfrewshire XII.2 (Abbey, Middle Church, High Church and Low Church)National Library of Scotland1860National Library of Scotland.1860. Renfrewshire XII.2 (Abbey, Middle Church, High Church and Low Church) Survey 1858 [Online] Availanle at: https://maps.nls.uk/view/74964128 Accessed 28 June 2018