Latheron Ex Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): ND 19780 33330, map


Address

Latheron
Caithness
Scotland

Description

Latheron Ex Parish Church

Construction materials: Stone - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church is a relatively simple T-plan structure, and is rendered and painted white. The main body of the church was built between 1725 and 1738 (started in 1725 and then abandoned for ten years), and the north aisle was added by William Davidson in 1821-2. The gable of this aisle has a slightly projected small square tower, topped by an octagonal domed cupola with round-arched belfry openings below this. The windows of the church are simple, narrow rectangular affairs. The slate or tile roof appears to have been replaced at some recent stage, although this cannot be confirmed at this present time. The interior of the church has been stripped out so it can be used as a museum. Attached to the south wall is a burial enclosure of the Sinclairs of Dunbeath, which appears to have been constructed from part of the Medieval church that once stood here. The south wall encorporates part of a lancet window. The churchyard includes several Caithness slab memorials and gravestones, some of which date from before the current church, showing again the presence of an earlier church. Written and researched by J. Dowling 26/2/04.

Tower

Aisle

Date: 1812

Cupola


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1725 to 1738)
  • Church: Addition (1821 to 1822)
    People: William Davidson