Newbigging Parish Church, Monikie

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 49790 36100, map


Address

Pitairlie Road, newbigging, mo
Angus
DD5 3RH
Scotland

Introduction

This former church is located in the village of Newbigging, and was built as a Associate Burgher Congregation church in 1789 (who also built the school next door in 1820). It is situated along the main road through the village, next to the local school.  The simple, rectangular church was built in rubble sandstone and has a slate roof. It became redundant in 2007 and sold later in that year. When last visited in 2010, the building had deteriorated, with smashed windows and clock face.


Description (exterior)

The east gable is the frontage of the church and faces the road. The centre section of the gable sits forward and contains the pointed arch doorway and a clock face above.  The doorway has an ogee hoodmould with carved finial and moulded stops. Above is a narrow lancet window, its quarry panes smashed. The clock face has Roman numerals and its white face has been largely smashed and lost. On top of the apex is a fairly large open, gabled bellcote with the bell in situ. Flanking the doorway are pointed-arch windows with thick mullions and trefoil tracery. Protective perspex covers the small, coloured panes of glass. At the corners are narrow ashlar buttresses.

 

The south elevation has four equal-sized round-arched windows with stained glass. It appears some of the glass panes have been smashed since the church became redundant. In the centre of the wall is a small date plaque with ‘1789’.The north face has two round-arched windows. The rear (west) gable is featureless but has a small, hipped-roof vestry attached. A large sandstone chimney rises from the west wall of the vestry.  

 


Description (interior)

The interior has been largely stripped of its furnishings and fittings. There were rows of pews with a central aisle that led to the raised sanctuary. There was a small communion table, pulpit, font and wooden panelling behind. Above was a wooden Celtic cross. The carpets were a dark blue with sky blue used to paint the walls.

JD


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1789)
    People: Burgher Congregation Founded

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 7832