St Finan's Parish Church, Lumphanan

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 57990 03840, map


Address

Lumphanan
Aberdeenshire
AB31 4QE
Scotland

Also known as:

  • St Vincent's Church
  • Lumphanan Parish Church

Introduction

St Finan's Parish Church was built in 1762, on the apparent site of earlier ecclesiastical foundations from the 7th and 13th centuries. The site was also dedicated to St Vincent after the Reformation. Additions were made to the current church in 1851. It is located on a small hillock above Cloak Burn, near to the manse Peel of Lumphanan. The church was bought by the owners of the manse in the early 1980s for £5000. It is complete, with granite walls and a slate roof, but is no longer in ecclesiastical use and is redundant and empty. The surrounding graveyard is well maintained but not in use anymore, except for a few family plots.


Description (exterior)

The church is a small and simple building. It was built with roughly coursed rubble stone blocks with ashlar skews and bellcote. The south wall has four tall rectangular windows with simple Gothic tracery and latticed glazing. The north wall has three, slightly wider rectangular windows with simple wooden tracery and lattice glazing. Each gable has a wide rectangular door with decorative metal hinges. Above is a rectangular window similar to those in the north wall. The west gable has a simple open bellcote with stone finials.


Description (interior)

The interior is no longer in use, other than as a private store. Most of the fittings and furnishings have been removed. The interior had two galleries, at the west and east ends, but it is not clear whether they are still in situ.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1762)
  • Church: Addition (1851)
  • Church closed and sold (1980s)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 0701
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 9277B-listed
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 9275C(S)-listed (graveyard)
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ50SE 11:00
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 17488

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Architecture of Post-Reformation ChurchesG Hay1957P236, 243
The Statistical Account of ScotlandSir H Sinclair (ed)1791-9Vol. VI, p386
The New Statistical Account of Scotland1845Vol. XII, p1094
Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the ReformationH Scott et al (eds)1915-61Vol. 6, p105