Migvie Church, Logie-Coldstone

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 43660 06820, map


AB34 4XP

Also known as:

  • St Finan's Church, Migvie


Migvie Church is built on an ancient ecclesiastical site, dating to the Pictish period. The present church dates to the late 18th century and stands just behind an earlier Pictish church, the remains of which comprise a low grass covered platform. The church has been united with Tarland since the early 17th century. The church is located in a small, sub-rectangular graveyard bounded by a low stone wall, with mature trees to the north. A wide trackway leads to the site, which is just to the north of the rural hamlet of Migvie in a rolling agricultural landscape.

Description (exterior)

The present church of Migvie dates to 1777 and is a small, simple rectangular building, with no typical ecclesiastical architectural features such as a bellcote, stained glass or finials. It is granite built, with roughly-squared blocks arranged in courses. The small roof is slated and there are no rain water goods, such as gutters and down pipes. 


The south elevation has two, small rectangular case and sash windows with clear multi-pane glass. There is a similar window in the west gable. The east gable has a low, wide rectangular doorway in which is now a replacement double-leaf wooden door. There are no features in the north wall, which is close to the boundary wall.


A flat, level, grass-covered platform in front of the south elevation of the church is thought to be the footings of a much older, possibly Pictish, church. Some walling was visible in the 19th century but today only low lumps in the grass may show the location of wall remains.

Description (interior)

The church is no longer in ecclesiastical use. After a period out of use it has recently been gutted internally and new plastered walls have been inserted to create a modern, open space which is used for small concerts and gallery space. 

People / Organisations:

St FinanDedication


  • Church built (1777)
  • Medieval church granted to St Andrew's Priory (Late 12th century)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 696
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 9437B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ40NW 2:00
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 16994

Bibliographic References:

Deeside and The Mearns: An Illustrated Architectural GuideJ Geddes2001p138
The Parishes of Medieval Scotland, Scottish Record Society Vol 93I B Cowan1967Vol. 93, p147
Epitaphs and inscriptions from burial grounds and old buildings in the north-east of Scotland with historical, biographical, genealogical and antiquarian notesA Jervise1875-9Vol. 2, p269-71
The Object Name Book of the Ordnance SurveyOrdnance Survey1860sBook 56, p60
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the ReformationH Scott et al (eds.)1915-61p543
Exploring Scotland's Heritage: GrampianIan Shepherd1986p123