The Immaculate Conception

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 97450 69000, map


Address

Livery St, Bathgate
West Lothian
Scotland

Description

The Immaculate Conception

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

No Roman Catholic church existed in Bathgate from pre-Reformation times, until with the influx of Roman Catholic workers in the districts's industrial development in the mid 19th century. The first church in Livery Street was the building abandoned by the 'Auld Licht' congregation which was disolved in 1856. A new building was erected in 1907 to accommodate the growing congregation. The church building recently underwent extensive renovation and reconstruction. Due to the expansion in the town and the growth of the congregation, a new site has been earmarked within the last decade or so to build a new church. J. Dowling 29/7/03.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1908)