Newtonmore St Bride's Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NN 71494 99254, map


Address

Glen Road
Newtonmore
Inverness
PH20 1DT

Introduction

A Free church school was built in the village prior to 1870 and then in 1896 a corrugated church was erected. This was replaced by a stone church about 1900. In that year it became a United Free Church and in 1929 it became St Andrew's Parish Church. In 1955 St Andrew's and the original Parish Church - St Columba's united. It was decided to demolish St Columba's and use the stone to alter and extend St Andrew's Church which was then Renamed St Bride's. The new Church opened in 1958.


Description (exterior)

The original Free Church was a simple box and aligned generally north/south. The south gable had a pointed arch entrance, a lancet window on either side and above three small lancets and a bird-cage belfry. The sides had three bays with lancet windows. It was built in random rubble. The transformed church has a large multi-sided apse on the south gable, two mallish transepts, a new entrande porch at the north end of the west wall and a transverse hall at the rear - north. 


Description (interior)

The apse has four rectangular stained glass windows by Gordon Webster depicting scenes from the life of Christ (1964). There ia also a single window in the west transept which depicts "charity" and is dated after 1912 (it may have been brought from St Columba's Church. Being a modern church it does not have pews. The furnishings are all in light wood. The walls are panelled up to sill level and then plastered and painted. Likewise the ceeiling is plastered and painted. There is a flat arch to the chancel.


Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 00620

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Highland and IslandsJohn Gifford1992Penguin