St Fillan's Episcopal

National Grid Reference (NGR): NN 57370 33170, map


Address

Killin
Perth
FK21 8UN
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Tin Hut (Current)
  • Grouse Kirk (19th Century)

Description

St Fillan's Episcopal Church is a 'tin church' made of corrugated iron with a timber frame. It is located in a small plot of land set back from the main street of Killin and surrounded by trees. The church is cruciform in plan after it was extended east in the early 20th century. It consists of a nave, transepts and chapel, with a small porch at the west end of the nave. The corrugated iron walls are painted white and have small pointed-arch windows (similar to those in the church at Fort Augustus). The gabled roofs are painted dark green, with the eaves painted black. A small, louvered bellcote with a concave pyramid roof is situated over the crossing. The interior is lined with pine and has thin scissor trusses that support the roof. The building was originally a private chapel, erected by the seventh Earl of Breadalbane for his shooting-party guests. This is where the local nick-name for the church 'Grouse Chapel' derived. The church was bought in kit-form from the Glasgow manufacturer Spiers and Co and erected in 1876. It is dedicated to St Fillan, an Irish saint with a reputation for healing and who lived in this area in the 9th century.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1876)
    People: Spiers & Co