Strathy West Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NC 83400 65200, map


Address

Strathy
Sutherland
Scotland

Description

Strathy West Church

Construction materials: Stone - Used for walls; Tile (modern/concrete) - Used for roof;

Built to the design of Thomas Telford in 1826, it is a Parliamentary church of a typical T-plan design, albeit with some deviations to the normal style, including a rear entrance and a small flanking north elevation with outer bay windows, which replace the more common paired doors. It is constructed from rubble, with tooled ashlar dressings. Paired, depressed arched windows are built into the north elevation (front) with similar but smaller flanking windows. Larger windows are present in the east and west gables and southern centre wing. There is a bellcote with stumpy finials at the west apex and a ball finial at the east gable apex. The roof is constructed with concrete tiles. A war memorial (1914-1945) is built alongside the church. It is thought the church is no longer in ecclesiastical use and has been converted to a domestic residence. It is externally complete, but internally changed. Researched and compiled by J. Dowling, 2002, and 6/11/03.

Bellcote

Nave

Stained Glass


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1826 to 1828)
    People: William Thomson/james Smith
  • Church: Build/construction (1826)
    People: Thomas Telford