Martyrs Church, Paisley

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 47410 63900, map


Broomlands, Paisley


Martyrs Church, Paisley

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Martyr's Memorial Church was founded at the Disruption of 1843 as a breakaway from the Martyr's Parish Church. It is still in use and since demise of the original Martyr's Parish Church has changed its name from Martyr's Memorial to Martyr's Parish. It has grey sandstone walls and a slate roof, and is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use. Alongside is Woodside Cemetery, which contains the graves of Messrs Algie and Park - hanged at Paisley Cross in 1685 for refusing to take the oath of loyalty to the King and the Episcopalian Church. Their bodies were buried in the Gallowgreen and later transferred near to where the Martyr's church was subsequently built. Also, nearby in Woodside cemetery is an obelisk erected to the memory of the 'martyrs' of the 1820 abortive rebellion. Researched by G. McCrea, compiled by J. Dowling, 24/3/2004.


  • Church: Build/construction (1847)
  • Church: Addition (1904 to 1905)
    Feature: Tower.
    People: T G Abercrombie