Pittenweem Baptist Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 54840 02470, map


Address

School Wynd
Pittenweem
Fife
KY10 2PN
Scotland

Introduction

This small church was built as a Baptist Church in 1902. It is located on one of the several narrow, steeply-sloping wynds or lanes that run south from Pittenweem's High Street towards the seafront. The church was closed and put up for sale in 2007 and the Baptist congregations of Anstruther and Pittenweem have united and now meet at the East Neuk Community Church, known as the Coastline Community Church. This meets in new purpose-built premises in Session Street, Pittenweem.


Description (exterior)

The church was built to a rectangular plan and has a cement render with lines incised to give the impression of stone blocks. It has a gable-ended slated roof. The east and north elevations are not accessible because of  the proximity of surrounding buildings.

The south elevation of the church looks out towards the sea and features four pointed-arch windows. The west gable is the principal elevation of the building and features the main entrance into the church. This is through a recessed double-leaf timber door set within a pointed-arch doorway. There are pointed-arched windows on either side of the door with coloured glazing, and above the door is a larger window with Y tracery.



Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
BaptistDenomination1902-2006

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1902)
  • Church: Closure (2006)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 40017
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 225747
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4708

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Scottish Baptist Year Book for 2000The Baptist Union of Scotland2000p. 50