Syre Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NC 69360 43930, map


Address

Syre
Sutherland
Scotland

Description

Syre Church

Construction materials: Iron (corrugated) - Used for walls; Iron (corrugated) - Used for roof;

This is a corrugated iron 'tin church' and was built in 1891. It consists of a small nave with an entrance porch and a small lean-to extension at the rear. The church has small pointed-arch windows (three in the nave side walls and a smaller one on the sides of the porch). The ridge of the nave and porch roofs are decorated with small iron spikes, some of which have now come off. There are three slender finials at the apex of the gables (one on the porch and two on the nave). The roof is painted red while the walls are white. The window frames, doorway, drain pipes and eaves are all painted black, which contrasts against the white walls. The interior still has its original pine pews set on either side of a central aisle and a communion table and pulpit. It was built as a mission church by the Free Church to serve the agricultural community of the Sutherland Estate. In 1900 it became United Free before joining Church of Scotland in 1929. There is an information panel outside the church describing its history, and the church is always open for visitors. A massive corrugated iron farm building used to stand immediatelly behind the church but this was demolished in the recent past. J. Dowling, 25/2/05. The interior is probably almost unchanged since the church's construction. There is an information panel on the history of the church and the surrounding community. D. Gerrard (13/9/05)

Nave

Porch

Finial

Furnishing

Memorial


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1891)