St Barevan's Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NH 83680 47250, map


Address

Foxmoss Wood
Nairn
Scotland

Description

St Barevan's Church

Construction materials: Stone (rubble, unbound) - Used for walls;

The ruins of this early 14th century church, formerly the parish church of Cawdor and traditionally linked with St. Aibind, stand to a height of around 3 metres. The grounds have been used as a graveyard since the church was superseded in the 17th century. A Medieval stone coffin is preserved to the north of the church while a mortuary enclosure of no great age is attached to the south-west corner. The stonework has cup marks. It appears that invasive vegetation and erosion are a threat to the ruins. The congregation of Cawdor Parish Church hold an annual service in the churchyard during the summer. Researched by J. Mackenzie, compiled by J. Dowling, 12/8/03.

Burial ground

Carved stone


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1300)