Little Urchany, Cawdor

National Grid Reference (NGR): NH 86430 48780, map


Address

Cawdor
Nairn
Scotland

Description

Little Urchany, Cawdor

The traditional location of this chapel is now occupied by a large clearance-heap, surrounded by a bank of earth and stones, the south-east side of which has been disturbed. The cairn measures around 11metres in diameter and is flanked on the west by three standing stones. In 1881 there was at least one other standing stone, which bore several cup marks; no trace of this stone remains. A second cup-marked stone, now at Cawdor Castle, appears to have been robbed from the site. Researched by J. Mackenzie, compiled by J. Dowling, 12/8/03.

Burial ground

Standing stone