Kildrummy Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 47220 17580, map


AB33 8QU


Kildrummy Parish Church occupies a striking site in the middle of the Aberdeenshire countryside. It stands alongside the remains of the old parish church, at the foot of a large artificial mound. The original graveyard occupies the steep-sided mound with a later large extension to the north and east of the current church. An open, glaciated farming landscape surrounds the church.

Description (exterior)

The church is a very unusual design and differs greatly from the more usual rectangular churches found in most of Aberdeenshire. It is more or less square on plan with a large round stair tower attached to the north. It was built using large, roughly squared granite rubble with smaller packing stones. The steeply-pitched pyramidal (or piended) roof is slated, as is the stair tower. 


The round, central stair tower greets the visiter from the driveway up to the church. There is a tall ashlar-built bellcote on the north end with an external bell pull and a carved ball finial. The east and west sides of the tower have a small rectangular door and a rectangular sash and case window above. 


The square body of the church has two very large pointed-arch windows symmetrically placed in the south wall. They have simple, intersecting wooden tracery and clear glass. In the east and west walls are two small rectangular sash and case windows, which light the gallery and nave below. 

Description (interior)

The interior of the church is arranged around the raised sanctuary against the south wall, with its pulpit and communion table. The furniture of the interior is not the original, and is thought to date to the mid 19th century. There is a gallery on three sides, which are supported by square columns. Most of the wooden furniture and fittings (including the pulpit, pews and gallery fronts) are painted a light, warm peach colour, as are the plastered walls.


The small, wooden pulpit is framed by the two large north windows. It is accessed by a small stair with a wooden ballustrade. The pulpit has a small backboard and a door. In front is a plain communion table and nearby is a fine medieval font, which was originally in the old church alongside. 


The nave has plain, wooden fixed pews which face the pulpit. Two doors from the northern vestibule give access to the nave. The gallery is accessed via the large stair tower. The pews in the gallery are stepped to give everyone visibility. The stair tower vestibule area has two World War memorials.  


  • Church built (1805)
  • Interior re-furnished (c1845)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4119
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 9093A-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ41NE 39:00
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 76816

Bibliographic References:

The Architecture of Scottish Post-Reformation ChurchesG Hay1957p117, 170 and 243
Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie, an illustrated architectural guideIan Shepherd2006p77
Exploring Scotland's Heritage: GrampianIan Shepherd1986p102
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the ReformationH Scott et al (eds.)1915-61Vol. VI, p132-4