Stothert Memorial Chapel, Lumphanan

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 58300 04800, map


Address

Glen Road
Lumphanan
Aberdeenshire
AB31 4PR
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Lumphanan Free Church (1870)

Introduction

Stothert Memorial Chapel was originally built as a Free Church and is sited prominently on raised ground overlooking the village of Lumphanan. There is woodland behind the church and a terraced graveyard lies to the south and east, on steeply-sloping ground. The former manse lies to the east with large grounds. The church is closed for worship and is privatelly owned after being bought in the 1980s. There is a large stone font outside the church entrance, which is said to have been taken from St finan's Parish Church nearby.


Description (exterior)

Stothert Memorial Chapel was built in granite, with textured ashlar granite blocks used for the tower and spire, as well as the buttresses and door and window surrounds. The nave is rubble-built and harled and the roof is slated.

 

The church is dominated by its tall square tower and spire, built at the south end. It has an entrance doorway in the south face, which is pointed-arched and has a thick hoodmould above. Above the door, on the south, west and east faces, is a large pointed-arch window with simple tracery and lattice glazing. The south face has a clock face set within a stone panel. above is a corbelled parapet, from which rises the octagonal, stone spire. There are lucarnes with louvered openings and the spire is topped with a finial and weather vane. The south gable, behind the tower, has two pointed-arch windows and corner buttress.

 

The side elevations of the nave are plain, with four pointed-arch windows reaching wallhead height. They have lattice glazing with coloured edge panes. The original iron guttering and down pipes are in situ. The west elevation has a rectangular doorway at the north end, while the east elevation has a small vestry built out from the nave at the north end. The north gable has pointed-arch windows.

 


Description (interior)

Although the church is closed for worship it still retains some of its original fittings, including the timber-framed roof, supported on corbels, wooden dadoes and a small south gallery. Some of the pews remain in place.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
William Henderson & SonsArchitects1870
Rev. Thomas StothertMinister of church, dedicated in his name1870-93Died in 1893. There is a memorial in the church to his wife, Helen Lundin Brown (1880) and himself.

Events:

  • Church built (1870)
  • Church closed and sold off (1980s)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 3887
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: Report on William Henderson & Son
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NJ50SE 41:00
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 117876
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 9282C(S)-listed

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Deeside and The Mearns: An Illustrated Architectural GuideJ Geddes2001p114