Peterculter Old Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 84180 02750, map


Address

Contlaw
Aberdeenshire
AB13 0ER
Scotland

Introduction

This former Free Church is located around two miles to the north of Peterculter and was built at the start of the Disruption in the 1840s. It was abandoned in 1895 and became ruinous before it was re-roofed with asbestos to form a store. 

In recent years the building was converted into a private house and is now surrounded by gardens and mature trees.


Description (exterior)

It was built as a simple rectangular structure using coursed granite rubble. The replaced roof is slated and has numerous modern roof lights to light the upper floor. The south face forms the principle elevation today and has arched-topped rectangular windows with replaced glass. There is an inserted door in this face and a dormer window above. 

The original wide bellcote in the west gable has been removed and there is now a stone chimney. The west gable has an advanced central section with a large rectangular door with a round-arched window on either side. 


Description (interior)

The interior was gutted in the years after the church was abandoned and subsequently turned into a store. The recent conversion to a house included the insertion of a second floor with new rooms created. 


Events:

  • Church built (1843)
  • Church abandoned (1895)
  • Church converted to house (Late 20th century)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 3837
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 15723C(S)-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ80SW 84
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 149894

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Aberdeen: An Illustrated Architectural GuideW A Brogden1998p177