Kilninian Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NM 39752 45730, map


Address

B8073
Kilninian
Mull
Argyll
PA74 6NH
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Kilninian Kirk
  • Keilnoening

Introduction

Current parish church of Kilninian, located at the western boundary of the modern township of Kilninian. The church is on a small rise by the B8073 and surrounded by a boundary wall with accompanying graveyard.


Description (exterior)

The current church building at Kilninian dates from 1755, probably replacing a mediaeval church on the same site, which itself may have had early historical or prehistoric precedents. A mediaeval date at least is attested by 14th-century grave slabs found on the site and currently displayed inside the kirk vestry. The current 18th century building is of a simple Georgian design, with a rectangular nave oriented E-W and an entrance at the western gable. A vestry is attached to the eastern end of the north wall. The construction is of grey-harled masonry. Simple round-headed windows, multi-paned, run along all of the walls, with three each in the north and south walls, and one at the east gable end. An 18th-century decorative bellcote is still present at the western gable; the bell itself was recast in 1891.


Description (interior)

The simplicity of the interior mirrors that of the exterior. A dark-stained wooden wainscoting, c. 1.0m in height, runs around cream-painted walls. The ceiling, probably timber-framed, has been plastered over in the same manner as the walls, with a single white panel running along the uppermost plane. The floor consists of exposed and seemingly unstained broad timber floorboards, with the exception of the chancel-end, which is slightly elevated and carpeted. A simple table serves as an altar. Two sets of pews are aligned on either side of the central main isle, and match the wainscoting in colour. A loft is also present at the western end, probably an early 19th-century addition.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandEstablished as parish church1755

Events:

  • Church: Built (1755)
  • Listed (1971)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 21792
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 11009

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll. Edinburgh.RCAHMS1980
The Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute.Walker, Frank A.2000.pp. 577-8