Bettyhill Farr Old Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NC 70000 61000, map


Address

Sutherland
Scotland

Description

Bettyhill Farr Old Church

Construction materials: Harled - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church was built in 1774 to a tall, rectangular design with harled walls and painted ashlar surrounds and dressings. The south elevation is symmetrical and has two long centre windows. Similar windows are to be found in the north elevation and both elevations have flanking ground floor windows. There is a bellcote at the east gable, a ball finial at the west and a triangular vent in the south wall. The interior features an imposing hexagonal panelled pulpit dated 1774, with a panelled backboard and hexagonal sounding board with a deeply-moulded rim. The backboard is contained within fluted Corinthian pilasters, with a centre round-headed keystoned blind arch supported on half pilasters. Flanking late 19th century oil lamps on decorative brass wall brackets are also present. Interior was altered in 1882 where the galleries were removed and 'party' walls added, reducing the size of the interior. The church now serves as the local Farr museum and the seating of the church has been removed. A memorial to the Rev. George Munro (died 1779) is present in the associated graveyard, along with other interesting 18th and 19th century tomb stones. An ancient cross slab of the 8th or 9th century is also located in the burial ground and is a Scheduled Monument. Written and researched by J. Dowling, 2003 and 22/12/04.

Memorial

Stained Glass

Bellcote

Finial

Carved stone

Furnishing

Gallery


Events:

  • Church: Restoration (0197)
  • Church: Build/construction (1774)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1882)