Former Latheron Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): ND 19900 33600, map


Address

Caithness
Scotland

Description

Former Latheron Free Church

Construction materials: Stone - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This Free Church was built between September and December 1843, at the time of the Disruption. Previously, the people of Latheron had to worship outside in the open air. The people of the district did most of the building. A large cargo of timber that was washed up on a nearby shore was used to build this church, as well as other local churches. The final cost of the church was 350 pounds and seated 800 people. The church closed a number of years ago and is now used as a store by a farmer. Compiled by J. Dowling, 15/12/03.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1843)