St Columba's Church, Stornoway

National Grid Reference (NGR): NB 42580 32990, map


Address

Lewis St, , stornoway, Stornow
Ross and Cromarty
Scotland

Description

St Columba's Church, Stornoway

Construction materials: Harled - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church is one of the oldest buildings in Stornoway, being constructed in 1794 by John Loban. It was extensively repaired in 1831 and remodelled and extended in 1884-5. The church is a basic rectangular structure, with an added extension or transept and porch to the south-west. The long north and south walls feature round-headed windows, while the west gable is Romanesque in style with a row of small round-headed windows and a larger arched traceried window above. The added transept is topped with a tall wooden and lead cuppola, topped by a weathervane. The flat-roofed porch has a large datestone of 1794 above the doorway. Above the porch in the side wall of the church is a small round window. The stonework is now harled and the roof is slated. The church is surrounded by low boundary walls with iron fencing. St Columba's offers services to its congregation in both Gaelic and English. J. Dowling, 28/6/2004.

Aisle

Belfry

Gallery

Nave

Spire

Transept

Porch


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1794)
    People: John Loban
  • Church: Repair (1831)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1884 to 1885)