Christ Ch. Episcopal, Falkirk

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 89220 80000, map


Address

Kerse Lane, Falkirk, Falkirk
Stirling
Scotland

Description

Christ Ch. Episcopal, Falkirk

Construction materials: Stone (rubble, bound) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Christ Church Episcopal Church was built by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in 1863-4. It is a beautifully crafted early pointed church with a distinctive red sandstone banding to its rubble midriff. There is a buttressed gable to the west and a 'cosily' scaled apse to the east. There is a bellcote over the Lady Chapel and a porch. The interior features banded brick walls, tiling, timber panelling and a metal screen (1895 by Carron Iron Company). There are open timber trusses and a mural painted with gold stars and blue background. It is known nationally as one of the architect's best works. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use. Researched and written by J. Dowling, 8/9/03.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1864)
    People: Rowand Anderson