Falkirk Old Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 88730 80010, map


Address

Kirk Wynd/high St, Falkirk
Stirling
Scotland

Description

Falkirk Old Parish Church

Construction materials: Stone - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Falkirk Old and St. Modan's Parish Church as it is often known, dates to the 15th century. However, oral tradition associates St. Modan with the site in the late 6th century, where a Celtic cell was situated. Various documentary sources from the 11th century on indicate the presence of an ecclesiastical building on this site. In 1450 a new church was built on the site, and had a cruciform plan and central tower. The south crossing piers are the main surviver of this church today, although parts have been re-modelled and built over. Most of the structure remaining today dates to the 18th and 19th centuries. In 1738 William Adam remodelled the crossing of the old church with a stone octagonal belfry. There is an elegant swept spire, now serving as the vestibule to James Gillespie Graham's large new church of 1810 to the north. This church replaced the old one, which was demolished apart from the tower. The present church features a crenellated parapet, crowstepped gables and Y-tracery on the windows. The south transept was added in 1892 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. The walls are constructed in dark rubble, while the roof is slate. The interior features a horseshoe-shaped balcony, supported on wooden columns and approached by graceful curving stair. There are two medieval effigies on the inside, one to Sir Alexander Livingston, who died in 1467. Researched and written by J. Dowling, 5/9/03 and 6/11/03.

Burial ground

Gate

Tower

Spire

Nave

Porch

Stained Glass

Furnishing

Monument

Memorial


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1400)
    Feature: Tower
  • Church: Build/construction (1738 to 1741)
    People: William Adam.
    Additional: Rebuilt
  • Church: Build/construction (1810)
    People: James Gillespie Graham.
    Additional: Rebuilt
  • Church: Build/construction (1810 to 1811)
    Feature: Tower.
    People: James Gillespie Graham