Lunan Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 68710 51550, map


Address

Lunan
Angus
DD11 5ST
Scotland

Introduction

The current parish church at Lunan was built in 1844 on the site of, or very close to, a medieval predecessor mentioned in around 1200 and dedicated in 1242. The current church is a small Romanesque-style structure with sandstone ashlar walls and slate roofs. It is surrounded by a long, narrow graveyard and the site is positioned on a valley side in a rural setting. The church is no longer in use and has been redundant and boarded up from the inside for some time.


Description (exterior)

The west gable of the church has a gabled entrance porch with a wooden panelled door on the south side.  A possible original doorway, later blocked, is on the west face of the porch. There are round-arched windows on either side of the porch, each with hoodmoulds. There is a small quatrefoil recess near the gablehead and on the apex of the gable is an open bellcote with square uprights and metal bell hanger. The east gable is blank apart from a weathered memorial panel, possibly from the earlier church, and a small round vent in the gablehead.

 

The south elevation has four round-arched windows with hoodmoulds and diamond panes of glass. All of the windows have been boarded up from the inside. Mounted on the wall is a sandstone memorial panel with angels holding a board. Near ground level is a fairly large opening, possibly for ventilation or for entry to a storage area (possibly for coal, etc). It is covered by an eleborate metal grate.

 

The north elevation has no windows in the nave but a hipped-roof extension has been built in the north-east corner. It was built with a lower quality sandstone, arranged into courses. The west side has a small entrance porch, built with large ashlar blocks. The porch has a small panel with a celtic cross within and a stone finial on the apex of the gable. The extension, likely a vestry and meeting room, has round-arched windows with hoodmoulds on the west and north faces and there is a small door on the rear (east) elevation.


Description (interior)

The interior was not accessible and appears not to have been used for a period of time. All of the windows have been boarded from the inside.


Events:

  • Church built (1844)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO65SE 11
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 12439B-listed
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1380

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Angus or Forfarshire: the land and people, descriptive and historicalA J Warden1880-5Vol. 4, p245-6
The New Statistical Account of Scotland1845Vol. 11, p329