Kilrenny Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 57500 04850, map


Address

Kirk Wynd
Kilrenny
Fife
KY10 3JJ
Scotland

Introduction

The present parish church at Kilrenny was built between 1807 and 1808. It is situated on the brow of a hill in the village of Kilrenny, surrounded  to the north, south and east by a large graveyard which slopes downhill to the east,  and a coped wall.     A fifteen-century tower is all that remains of an earlier church.    The graveyard contains a number of interesting mausoleums.   Of particular interest is the red sandstone Lumsdaine mausoleum attached to the west face of the tower.    Its south face is adorned with Doric columns and Ionic pilasters, and the armorial stone in the centre of the face has the date �1823� above it.    There is also a mausoleum for the Scott of Balcomie family.


Description (exterior)

The sandstone building is gable-ended,  with porches to the south, east and north.   The church is roofed in Scottish slate.

On the east elevation there is a louvered lunette towards the apex of the gable and a plain pinnacle capping the roof.    The south elevation has four windows with intersecting heads.   The west elevation, which is largely obscured by the tower and the south porch, has a louvered lunette, similar to that on the east elevation.   The north elevation  has two arched windows.    There are curious V shaped lines on the wall which suggest an extension or other adjoining structure.

The south porch was added in 1932.  It is crowstepped, and is divided by a projecting string, above which is a single coloured glass window.   Below the string is an arched doorway leading into the church, on either side of which are square stops with moulded crosses.  Next to the door there is a small window.   The west elevation has two windows, the upper one  of which has coloured glass in a rounded arch;   below this is a square headed window also with coloured glass.

Entry to the east porch is through a door in its south face and entry to the  north porch is through a door in its east face.


Description (interior)

The church is a simple rectangle.   Entry is by a doorway in the south west corner leading to a screen which gives access to the nave through two doors.   The orientation is east-west, with the sanctuary at the east end.    A gallery dominates the west end, overlooking two aisles running west to east between wooden pews.   There is waist-high wooden panelling on the walls, above which the plaster is painted to give a light and airy feeling, to which the large single lancet clear glass windows contribute much.    In the centre of the panelling at the east end is a tripartite section with pointed arches surmounted by elaborate cross-shaped finials;   this provides seating for the officiating ministers, with elders' chairs on either side.   The communion table is directly in front of this.   It, the pulpit, font, and lectern are all of the same carved wood as are the pews.    Most of the pews are conventional in style, but some box pews remain from an earlier age.   An organ is in front of the sanctuary on the north east corner of the church.    There are a few memorials and war memorial plaques on the walls, a framed chronology of events in the parish, and a cradle roll.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1808-NOW
Gillespie and ScottArchitect1935architects. Added the porch.
Mr Alexander LeslieArchitect1807-1808Built the body of the church.

Events:

  • Graveyard: Build/construction (1631)
    The churchyard walls were added
  • Graveyard: Addition (1776)
    Addition of the mausoleum of Scott of Balcomie.
  • Porch: Build/construction (1807 to 1808)
  • Porch: Build/construction (1807 to 1808)
  • Church: Build/construction (1808)
    The church was rebuilt by Alexander Leslie on the site of an earlier building.
  • Graveyard: Addition (1823)
    Addition of the Lumsdaine Burial Enclosure
  • Church: Addition (1932)
    Addition of south porch.
  • Porch: Build/construction (1932)
    The porch was added

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1298
CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - HardcopyReference: 1298
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 35978
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 35976
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 36067
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34136
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 101402
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 101403
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 101404
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 35979
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 35975
Records of Kilrenny Kirk Session - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH2/215
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 35977
www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk - Online databaseReference: Kilrenny
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 101405
Scran - Online databaseReference: 000-000-109-032-cImage: Helen Armitage
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 9525
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 9526
Scran - Online databaseReference: 000-000-109-033-CImage: Helen Armitage

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 263
Historic Royal Burgh of Kilrenny & Anstruther - Churches, Manses & SchoolStevenson, S (Ed.)2001ISBN:0-9536538-1-1 p. 6