Chapel Brae

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 36220 04820, map


Address

Letham Feus
Kennoway
Fife
KY8 5NT
Scotland

Introduction

There is a tradition of a chapel having been sited in the fields behind the Caravan Park at Letham Feus. The foundations of a building were removed in the early nineteenth century. An ordinance survey map of 1855 marks the 'Site of Chapel' at grid reference NO 3623 0482. Other historical references mention a 1467 land grant to a religious community in the area.

No archaeological investigations, including trial excavations and geophysics, have been able to locate evidence of the building or surrounding graves. A natural spring to the southwest of Chapel Brae is thought to have been a holy well, named St Brendan's Well or Brandy Well. It has traditionally been associated with a monastic establishment.


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction (1400 uncertified)
    In 1467 the land where the chapel was later located was given to a religious community.
  • Chapel: Removal (1814)
    Foundations of chapel were removed.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 31367
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1213