Old Meldrum Former Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 81040 27540, map


Urquhart Road


This former Free Church is located alongside the busy Urquhart Road, the main artery through Meldrum with many side roads into modern housing estates. The building is now the hall for Meldrum Parish Church and is regularly used by the congregation and the local community. It closed as a church in 1954 and was likely built soon after the Disruption in 1843. 

Description (exterior)

The church building is a fairly small rectangular structure with classical details such as round-arched windows. It has harled walls and painted cement window and door surrounds. The roof is slated and has numerous tall, gabled vents with louvered openings. 


The west-facing elevation is the main frontage of the church as it faces the road. There are three large round-arched windows with clear rectangular panes of glass. A wide rectangular door is situated at the south end and there is a small porch with round-arched doorway at the north end, in the gable. The gables have two rectangular windows, again with clear, rectangular glass. In the gablehead is a narrow slit window. 

Description (interior)

The interior is now an open hall space and the main furnishings of the church, including the pews and pulpit, have been removed. 


  • Closed as a church (1954)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10837
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ82NW 222
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 274351

Bibliographic References:

Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie, an illustrated architectural guideIan Shepherd2006p173