Aberlady Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 46180 79853, map


Address

Aberlady, Lothian
East Lothian
Scotland

Description

Aberlady Parish Church

Construction materials: Stone (rubble, bound) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This Parish Church was originally built in the 15th century. It encorporates a main square tower adjoining the west end, with a set-in top storey and a slated pyramidal spire behind a corbelled parapet. Part of the higher storey was later converted into a doocot with flight holes in the slit windows on the south side visible. Largely re-modelled by William Young in 1886 with new twin porches to the north and south tower, and the session house at the east end. A number of stained glass windows by Edward Frampton are present, depicting the apostles (round the chancel) and the Nativity at the east end. Other windows show Christ, with children and after the Resurrection. An 8th century cross fragment of Anglo-Saxon date from Aberlady is in the National Museum. Written and researched by J. Dowling, 2003.

Burial aisle

Date: 16th C

Burial ground

 

Stained Glass

Date: 1889

Monument

Date: 1762

Porch

Date: 1886

Tower

Date: 15th C


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction
    Date: 15THCENT
  • Church: Build/construction (1773)
  • Church: Build/construction (1886)
    People: William Young.
    Additional: Rebuilt