Places of Worship in Montrose Parish in Tayside Region

  • Dominican Friary, Montrose

    A house of Dominican friars was founded in Montrose in around 1275 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The buildings were said to have been attacked and burned at the start of the 14th century and by the early 16th century the complex was ...

    The possible site of the friary
    2 photos
  • Ferryden United Free Church, Montrose

    Ferryden United Free Church is located in the community of Ferryden, just south of Montrose harbour. It is surrounded by housing and is at the top of a cul-de-sac, which overlooks the harbour and parts of Ferryden. 

    The chur...

    View of the church from the north-west
    7 photos
  • Former Methodist Church, Montrose

    This former Methodist Church was replaced by a new Methodist Church on Mill Street in 1874. The former church building stands on the corner of Chapel Street and Market Street and is currently a hair salon. It is a simple, single-storey s...

    View of the building from the north-west
    7 photos
  • Former St Luke's and St John's Church, Montrose

    This imposing Neo-classical former church was built in 1829 by William Smith. A hall complex was added to the north in 1892. It was originally built as a chapel of ease for the parish church, but was united with St Luke's in 1953. The la...

    View of the impressive south elevation
    7 photos
  • George Street Free Church, Montrose

    This former Free Church was built in 1844 by William Middleton on the corner of George Street and Baltic Street. It has an ashlar-built south front and rubble-built side and rear elevations. Major alterations in 1896 saw a new entra...

    The west elevation of the church
    7 photos
  • Hillside Parish Church, Montrose

    Dun and Hillside Church is the parish church for the small community of Hillside, a village on the outskirts of Montrose. It is located next to a primary school on a sloping site, which overlooks Montrose to the south.

    The Victor...

    A view of the church from the north-east
    22 photos
  • Houff of Kinnaber Chapel

    This is the possible site of an old burial ground and chapel. The historian A Jervise visited the area in the 1860s but no trace of the burial ground or chapel was found, suggesting it fell out of use or was demolished in the late 18th o...

  • Inchbrayock Church Hall, Ferryden

    This former place of worship is situated in Ferryden, adjacent to the harbour. It is now the church hall for Inchbrayock Parish Church, located nearby to the west.

    The church hall from the north-east
    2 photos
  • Inchbrayock Church, Ferryden

    Inchbrayock Parish Church serves the community of Ferryden, just to the south of Montrose. It was built as a Free Church in 1843 in a Gothic style and later became Church of Scotland when the Free Church congregation re-united. It is loc...

    A view of the church from the east
    19 photos
  • Knox's United Free Church, Montrose

    Knox's Free Church was built in 1851 by John Peddie and was originally an Anti-Burgher Secession Church. Some of the stained glass was inserted in 1878, when the interior was also revised and decorated. It became a United Presbyterian Ch...

    View of the church from the south-west
    23 photos
  • Melville Mission Hall, Montrose

    Melville Mission Hall was built in 1850 by Wiliam Middleton. Alterations were carried out in the late 19th century. It is located in South Esk Street, which is mostly occupied by domestic residences. The Mission Hall consists o...

    The main elevation of the church
    4 photos
  • Melville South Church, Montrose

    Melville South Church was built in 1861 and was originally a Free Church called St Paul's. It later became South Church and when it became Church of Scotland in 1929 it became Melville South. It is built in a town street close to the his...

    west frontage
    17 photos
  • Mill Street Unitarian Chapel, Montrose

    A small Unitarian chapel was situated on Mill Street, but it appears to have been demolished many years ago. Mill Street today has a number of later 20th century housing developments and a large modern nursing home.

    JD

    Mill Street, where the chapel was located
    1 photo
  • Montrose Baptist Church, Murray Lane

    There is now no trace of any place of worship in Murray Lane, apart from a boarded up prefab building, which may have been a meeting hall. The area was redeveloped in the early 1990s and modern housing and a car park now occupy most of t...

    The car park in Murray Lane
    3 photos
  • Montrose Congregational Church

    This large church complex was built in 1841 in a loose Grecian style, on the corner of Baltic Street and Museum Street near the centre of Montrose. The church building has fairly plain features, apart from a decorative Classical gab...

    View of the church from the south-west
    8 photos
  • Montrose Methodist Church

    Montrose Methodist Church was built in 1874 to replace an earlier structure located on the corner of Market Street and Chapel Street. The church is rectangular with a gable frontage, and has Gothic details. Tooled sandstone blocks (quarr...

    View of the church from the south-east
    26 photos
  • Montrose Parish Church

    The current parish church of Montrose was built in 1791 by David Logan, but there have been a number of ecclesiastical structures on the site since the medieval period. The earliest is thought to have been built in the 12th century ...

    view of the west tower
    21 photos
  • Mortuary Chapel, Montrose

    This small building on the corner of Baltic Street and Museum Street used to be a mortuary chapel, but is now a children's day nursery. Little is currently known about the history of the building or when it was built. The L-shaped s...

    View of the former chapel from the north
    4 photos
  • Old St Mary's Episcopal Hall, Montrose

    This church was originally called St Mary's and was an Episcopal place of worship. It united with the new St Peter's Church nearby when it was built in 1858 (to create St Mary's and St Peter's Episcopal Church). St Mary's became and chur...

    View of the east elevation of the former church
    6 photos
  • St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church, Montrose

    St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church was built by Robert Keith in 1886. The Gothic-style building is contained within walled grounds and there is a modern hall attached to the rear. It was built with different sized red sandstone blocks, ...

    External view of the church, from the west
    17 photos
  • St Mary's and St Peter's Episcopal Church, Montrose

    This A-listed cruciform plan church sits on the corner of Panmure Street, Provost Scott Road and St. Peter's Road, and is set within a churchyard with stone boundary walls. The church has a tower on the south side and a porch was added i...

    From Provost Scott Road
    27 photos
  • St Mary's Hospital, Montrose

    A hospital was founded by a group of Dominican friars in Montrose in 1516. The friars came from the nearby Friary and moved in two years later in 1518. Their time there was not deemed to be successful, however. It appears the hospital's ...

    The site of the hospital on Murray Street
    1 photo