Places of Worship in Forfar Parish in Tayside Region

  • Bible Baptist Church, Forfar

    This former Bible Baptist Church in Forfar is no longer in ecclesiastical use and has been converted into a house, with replacement windows and repaired stonework. It was originally a Roman Catholic chapel and was used in the past by var...

    View of the former Bible Baptist meeting hall
    3 photos
  • Carsebarracks Chapel, Forfar

    A chapel was said to be located in a field at Chapelcroft, near Lunanhead, Forfar, in the later medieval period. The exact site of this early chapel is not known today and no other documentary sources have been found about the ...

  • Chapel of the Holy Trinity, Forfar

    A small chapel was established here as a dependancy of Coupar Angus Abbey on a natural gravel ridge in Forfar Loch, known as Queen Margaret's Inch. The ridge was enlarged by a timber and stone structure and a ditch was at some point cut ...

  • Congregational Chapel, Forfar

    This Congregational Chapel was built in 1836 by James McLaren & Son. It is built on two floors, with the lower level being originally a hall and caretaker's house. The upper storey housed the meeting room for the congregation. T...

    View from the north
    15 photos
  • Doig's, Former Church, Forfar

    This is the site of a former church in Forfar's town centre. It was originally a Free Church when opened in 1844, and later became a United Presbyterian Church and also a United Free Church until around 1920. The building becam...

    View of north gable
    11 photos
  • East Free Church, Forfar

    This Free Church was built in 1852 on the corner of Queen Street and Green Street. It has sandstone walls and a slate roof. The church became redundant after the congregation united with the Old Parish Church in the 1970s, and was t...

    East Free Church, taken by R France
    7 photos
  • Forfar Baptist Church

    This town church was built in around 1875 to serve the new Baptist congregation in Forfar. It was an unusual building in that it was one of the earliest to be formed from poured concrete. It was in use by the Baptists until the...

  • Forfar East and Old Parish Church

    Forfar East and Old Church sits on a prominent position, on a rise that overlooks the centre of town. There is an extensive graveyard to the south, where the land falls away steeply. The site has 13th century origins, when the first chap...

    View of the church from the south-east
    25 photos
  • Free Church Hall, Forfar

    This building became a drill hall in its later life, but was constructed as a Free Church. It was built in the 1840s after the Disruption, when a division in the Church of Scotland led to the Free Church being created, and became the fir...

  • Gospel Hall, Forfar

    This building and its site have a fairly complicated history. On the site once stood the first Episcopal Chapel in Forfar, built in the 1770s. A new Episcopal Church was built on East High Street in 1823, after which the origin...

    View of east elevation
    6 photos
  • Jehovah's Witness Hall, Forfar

    This meeting hall was built in 1899 and was a post office originally. It was in use by the Jehovah's Witnesses until fairly recently, but is now an office. The Forfar Jehovah's Witness group now meet in a pre-fab building erected ne...

    View of the meeting hall and former Post Office
    6 photos
  • Jehovah's Witness Hut, Forfar

    This is a wooden hut, originally built for the Jehovah's Witness congregation. It has a corrugated asbestos roof. It became a joiner's workshop and remains in use as such today.  It lies north-south on North Street an...

    View of the hut
    3 photos
  • Lour Temple, Forfar

    This is a private burial ground for the Lairds of Lour. It is located on a summit of a hill and is in use for private burial.

  • Lowson Memorial Parish Church, Forfar

    This town church was built in 1914 by A. Marshall Mackenzie in memory of John Lowson, a linen manufacturer. Its cruciform plan is loosely Scots Gothic in style, and features a nave, side aisles, transepts, central tower and chancel....

    View of church from north-west
    22 photos
  • Reid Hall, Forfar

    Reid Hall was founded as a community hall in 1869, but was used for religious services by several congregations in the 19th and 20th centuries. It was also a children's church for a time. When other churches in the town were be...

    View of building from east
    8 photos
  • Restenneth Priory

    The ruined priory of Restenneth stands in the centre of the ancient kingdom of the Picts and its foundation may date to this period. Interestingly, however, no carved Pictish stones have been found there. The church stands on a...

    Restenneth Priory
    7 photos
  • Salvation Army Hall, Forfar

    Forfar's Salvation Army have used many different premises in the town in the past, but latterly they have used a small, modern hall set a few minutes walk from the town centre. It is self contained within a stone wall and incorporates a ...

    View of the hall with entrance and disabled access to the front
    3 photos
  • St Boniface's Chapel, Forfar

    The site of a small chapel was known about in the 19th and early 20th century. Some foundations were visible when examined by Jamieson in the 1820s (see Bibliography) and some graves around the building were noted. The chapel measured 36...

  • St Fergus Roman Catholic Church, Forfar

    This is a modern church on the edge of a housing estate estate towards the southern edge of Forfar. It has brick walls and a corrugated iron roof and was built in the 1960s to serve the growing Roman Catholic community that had previousl...

    View of the west elevation
    17 photos
  • St James Quoad Sacra, Forfar

    This church was built as a chapel of ease in 1836 (an additional parish church to serve a growing urban community).  There is a road to the front and rear of the building (St James Road and Chapel Street respectively). Attached...

    View of south-facing front elevation
    8 photos
  • St John's Episcopal Church, Forfar

    St John’s was opened for worship in 1881 and occupies a busy town centre location on the corner of East High Street and Green Street. An earlier place of worship existed on this site in the past - the original St John&rsq...

    St John's Episcopal, Forfar
    30 photos
  • St Margaret's Church, Forfar

    St Margaret's Church (or West Kirk as its often locally known) is located in Forfar town centre on West High Street. It was built as a Free Church and was called West Free Church. There are small grounds to the front of the church a...

    View of south elevation
    29 photos
  • St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Lunanhead, Forfar

    This very small Episcopal church stands in the centre of the village of Lunanhead, just to the north-east of Forfar. When built it was actually in the village of Carsebarracks, with Lunanhead village across the road. However, the whole a...

    Lunanhead Church
    21 photos
  • St Mary's Chapel, Forfar

    The remains of chapel called St Mary's stood near a farm called Easter Carsebanks, although the farm steading has since been demolished. The chapel itself no longer exists either, but a tree is said to grow on or near the ...