Places of Worship in Dundee Parish in Tayside Region

  • Albert Square United Free Church, Dundee

    The main access to this city centre site is on the entrance path to a shopping centre. The surrounding area is banking and commercial outlets. This three storey church was built in the Italian style to a cost of £6000 with 700 seat...


    2 photos
  • Annfield Road Former Church, Dundee

    This church was located in Annfield Road in Dundee, but was demolished several years ago and a new building constructed on the site. No other information is available at the present time.

  • Augustinian Monastery, Dundee

    Not all monasteries are of early Christian or medieval date. This 20th century red brick and slate roofed building houses a small community of Augustinian monks, Priests and Brothers. More information to follow. 

  • Baldovan Terrace Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this city church.

  • Balgay Parish Church, Dundee

    Balgay is a nineteenth century Gothic church, oriented east-west and situated on a corner site that slopes uphill to the south. Balgay Church is bounded by a stone wall with railings. To the front is a garden with spring and summer flowe...


    16 photos
  • Bell Street Baptist Church, Dundee

    This former Baptist Church was located on the corner of Bell Street and Constitution Road. It replaced thatched cottages and opened for worship in May 1840 to seat 1,300. A hall was constructed in a sub-basement below and could hold up t...


    3 photos
  • Bethany Church, Dundee

    Bethany Church is housed in an early 20th century building in the west end of Dundee. It looks quite industrial with a red brick front elevation and large windows. Locals say the building began as a Railway Mission, which were often star...

    The church, looking south (Photo by Leona Elder)
    10 photos
  • Broughty Ferry Baptist Church

    This is a town church in a street. It has sandstone walls and a slate roof. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use.

    L. Thoms, J Dowling

    Broughty Ferry Baptist
    6 photos
  • Broughty Ferry Congregational Church

    Broughty Ferry Congregational Church was built in 1863-4 by James MacLaren. It is rectangular in plan and Gothic in design.

  • Broughty Ferry United Presbyterian Church

    This was a town church in a street, but was demolished some time ago and built over by a car park. The church was in existence in 1876-77 (and may have been in use before 1867), according to the 'Dundee Directory'. The church continued t...

  • Camperdown Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church, and stands next to a small copse of trees. The brick and felt structure was in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use when last visited in 2003.More information to follow.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • Central Baptist Church

    This red sandstone building is part of a terrace in an area that formerly contained many religious establishments. The street is a busy thoroughfare to local businesses and the ring road.

    Church Facade
    20 photos

  • Central Mosque, Dundee

    This former church, located on a corner site at the junction of Victoria Road and Wellington Street, is now the Central Mosque. The sandstone building is painted blue and white, and has a large rose window on the front elevation. There i...

  • Chalmers Ardler Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church in a street. It has harled brick walls and sandstone dressings, with a copper roof. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use when last visited. More information to follow.

    L. Thoms, J. ...

  • Chapel Lane Church and Burial Ground, Broughty Ferry

    This is a town church in a street, and has sandstone walls and a slate roof. It is no longer in use as a church, but it, and the burial ground, are in the care of the Dundee District Council Parks Department. Chapel Lane, which the churc...

  • Christadelphians Bible Line

    The meeting place is within a tenement building in a side street off Ward Road. There are two churches on the opposite side of the street and office premises and private accommodation surrounding. K. Nichols 10/08.


    3 photos
  • Christian Assembly Hall

    This modern 1-storey building is of red brick on raised ground in a main street location. Reached by a small flight of steps with landscaped ground to the front that partially hides the car parking land to its north and east. K. Nichols ...


    4 photos
  • Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, Liff Road, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this urban place of worship.

  • Church of the Spirit

     The Church of the Spirit has been developed in a former flat within a Victorian tenement on the south side of the Nethergate, close to its junction with Marketgait.

    View of the entrance to the church
    2 photos
  • City Churches Dundee

    The City Churches occupy a large building in the city centre of Dundee beside the Overgate shopping centre on the Nethergate.

    The building currently comprises four churches and former churches collective...

    Dundee City Churches
    1 photo
  • Claverhouse Road Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this city church.

  • Constitution Street Church, Dundee

    This church was located at the junction of Hilltown and Constitution Street. The church was demolished some time ago, and the site is now occupied by Hillbank Health Centre and flats.

  • Craigiebank Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church located on a prominent site at the intersection of two main roads in Craigie Garden suburb. The church sits higher than the surrounding streets and buildings, creating an imposing position. The bri...

    exterior
    10 photos
  • Cross Church, Dundee

    There is little reference in existing documents to the Cross Church apart from its existence.

    It was a number of church structures originally attached to St Mary's Church. After a fire in 1841 Cross Church appears to have been...


    2 photos
  • Dens Road Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this city church.

  • Douglas and Angus Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church in a street. It has brick walls with sandstone dressings and a slate roof. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • Downfield Mains Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church. The sandstone and slate structure is in good condition and the church is in full ecclesiastical use. 

    West elevation
    11 photos
  • Dudhope Free Church, Dundee


    There is currently no information about this town church, on the corner of Mid Street and Dudhope Street.

  • Dudhope Street Church

    With an east-west orientation there are several components to this sandstone building, which lies between a main road and cul-de-sac. It is raised above street level and reached by a sloping entrance. The boundary is marked by a sto...


    3 photos
  • Dundee Central United Free Church

    The United Free Church is set on a corner site on a junction midway up a busy road towards the Hilltown area. The grounds have railings on all sides and there is a central path leading to the main entrance.&...


    4 photos
  • Dundee Congregational Church

    This Church is situated on the northern boundary of Dundee’s city centre. It was designed by James Brewster of Montrose and opened in 1833 as Ward Chapel at a cost of £2810, a huge amount of money for a congregation to raise ...

    Dundee Congregational Church
    12 photos
  • Dundee Free Church, St Peter's Street

    Dundee Free Church, on St Peter's Street, occupies the church building that was originally St Peter's Church. More information to follow.

  • Dundee Hebrew Centre

    Used by Dundee Hebrew Congregation this white 1960s-70s construction sits almost unseen near to a busy intersection. Surrounded by a copse and shrubbery the centre is approached by a cement staircase. This is divided into a zig-zag to ai...


    14 photos
  • Dundee Methodist Church

    This modern box structure is situated on the western side of the Marketgait ring road. Although not directly attached to adjacent buildings there is little visible except for the east facing frontage. There are various objects such as si...


    1 photo
  • Dundee Priory

    There is currently no information about this site.

  • Dundee University Chaplaincy

    Built between 1973 and 1974, the Chaplaincy is situated in the centre of the University campus beside the University Library on Cross Row. The centre was designed as a space of worship fo...

    Dundee University Chaplaincy
    17 photos
  • Elim Pentecostal Church, Dundee

    Elm Pentecostal Church is a relatively modern building, constructed in the 20th century. It is made of red or orange coloured concrete blocks with a tile roof with wooden sections, and is based loosley on a Scandinavian style of building...

  • Ex Baptist Church, Jamaica Street, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this church.

  • Fairmuir Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church in a street. The sandstone and slate structure is in good condition and the church is in good condition.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • Fintry Parish Church, Dundee

    The church is located on the corner of Fintry Road and Fintry Drive. St Luke's and Queen Street, Broughty Ferry, provided communion table, chairs, lectern and font following the union of the St Luke's and Queen Street congregations in Ju...

    View church showing main entrance
    10 photos
  • First St Clement's Church, Dundee

    The site of Dundee's earliest known church is now covered by the buildings utilised by the City Council and the Caird Hall, i ncluding an underground car park. K. Nichols 10/08.

    The site of St Clement's
    2 photos
  • Former Dominican Monastery

    The site of this monastery is considered to be in close proximity to the Greyfriars at the Franciscan Friary where the Willison church once stood. K. Nichols

    The site where the monastery was thought to have been located
    2 photos
  • Former Methodist Church

    This Gothic Revival building is located in a street that formerly contained many religious establishments. There is a private car park behind this building but it does not belong to the church. When last visited the building was in ...

    View of the south frontage
    7 photos
  • Former Panmure Street Congregational Church

    This former Congregational Church, Gothic in style was built in 1855.  It is now owned by Dundee High School and was converted to a library and hall in 1985

    Frontage
    4 photos
  • Former St. Enoch's

    The site of the former church is now occupied by a national bank. The present construction imitates the orientation and position of the church. K. Nichols 11/08.

    archival image of church
    5 photos
  • Franciscan Friary, Dundee

    The north wall and path of the present tenements is believed to be the position of the friary. The current burial grounds is where the friary's orchard was located.

    K. Nichols


    3 photos
  • Franciscan Nunnery

    The order of the Gray Sisters was founded in 1212 and specialised in the care of the 'opressed and sorrowing, parentless, husbandless and homeless women of all classes.'


    2 photos
  • Franciscan Nunnery

    The Franciscan Nunnery lay against the walls of Argyllsgait. The area that contained the town walls is now flattened. This area has been renamed West Port and is a roundabout leading to outlying areas.

    K. Nichols


    3 photos
  • Frederick Street Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this city church.

  • Gate Fellowship, Dundee

    This city church used to be St Mark's Church. It was built in Perth Road between 1868 and 1869 by Pilkington and Bell.

    Entrance hallway
    8 photos
  • Gilfillan Memorial Church, Dundee

    This impressive sandstone building is centrally placed within the curving Whitehall Place, at the southern edge of the city centre. The surrounding tenements contain both retail and living accommodation. K. Nichols


    8 photos
  • Glasite Chapel, Dundee

    This octagonal building was originally sited close to St. Andrews Church. There is a limited amount of landscaping and car parking around it.  An extension has been added to its north face and this has been harled and painted white ...


    3 photos
  • Good Shepherd Sisters, Dundee

    This place of worship is a house in a suburban street. It is the residence or convent for a small community of nuns of the Congregation of the Good Shepherd. The building is in good condition and in use.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • Hawkhill Chapel, Dundee

    A small chapel once stood in the Hawkhill district of Dundee, although no trace of it has been found.

  • South-west to south-east view of the Church
    7 photos
  • Hilltown Church, Dundee

    This church was located in Hilltown opposite the Stirling Street junction. It was demolished some time ago and is now urban parkland.

  • Hunter Street Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this city church.

    Street sign
    3 photos
  • James Church, Dundee

    This site is now a students Union for Abertay Univesity. The site previously held two churches and a hall. At a later date there was a 19th century warehouse that was used by this congregation. K. Nichols


    2 photos
  • Jamia Mosque, Dundee

    Jamia Masjid, Central Mosque, is located on the junction of Brown Street and Miln Street, north-east of the City Centre. It is largely hidden from view behind warehouses. The original Mosque in Dundee was located at South Erskine Street ...

    West Elevation
    10 photos
  • Jericho Benedictines, King Street, Dundee

    This is a residence for a small community of Jericho Benedictines. The building is in a street location and in good condition.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Harefield Road, Dundee

    The white brick one-storey building has a north-south orientation with two entrance doors located on the east elevation, facing a car park. A ramp for disabled access runs the full length of the building. The grounds ...


    3 photos
  • Lochee Baptist Church, Dundee

    In a busy side street leading to Lochee's High Street this church is a T-shaped Georgian building, constructed using brown sandstone. It has narrow side paths with walled boundaries and buildings surround the chuch. There is no open...


    3 photos
  • Lochee East Free Church, Dundee

    The East free church was situated on the north-east corner of Lochee where the High Street meets Methven Street. An OS map of 1961 indicates its presence at that time and is illustrated in a local history book. The church was demolished ...


    2 photos
  • Lochee Old and St Lukes Parish Church, Dundee

    This parish church was built in 1830 by David Neave near the works gate of a factory in Lochee. 


    2 photos
  • Lochee West Church, Dundee

    This neo-Gothic sandstone building is situated on a corner site next to Lochee's High Street.  There is a main ring road skirting the western edge of this church's property.

    K. Nichols


    6 photos
  • Logie and St John's Church, Dundee

    Built in 1911-14 by Frank Thomson, this is a very large Romanesque style cruciform plan church with later halls attached. It is situated on an extensive site on the south-west corner of Blackness Avenue and Shaftsbury Place. It was ...

    View of the south-west side of the church with main entrance (Photo by Leona Elder)
    14 photos
  • Logie Church, Lochee Road, Dundee

    Designed by Alex Johnston to seat 600 this church opened on 8 December 1872. It has subsequently been demolished.

    At present there is a nursing home on the site. The only remains of the church and its site are the boundary wal...


    5 photos
  • Mains and Strathmartine Parish Church, Dundee

    The site for this town church was chosen as the most convenient for the congregations of Mains and Strathmartine Parishes when they were united in around 1800. The sandstone walls and slate roof structure is in fair condition.

    West elevation
    11 photos
  • Main entrance showing gateposts
    23 photos
  • Mains Parish Church

    From 1994 to 2013, the congregation of Mains Parish Church has worshipped in these halls, as the church building itself was declared unsafe and the necessary works estimated in cost at £100,000, a sum beyond the means of the c...

    Northern elevation
    5 photos
  • Marist Brothers Residence, Forebank House, Dundee

    This is a residence for a community of Marist Brothers. The building is in sandstone, with a slate roof. It is in fair condition.

    L. Thoms,  J. Dowling

  • Maxwelltown Baptist Church, Dundee

    Maxwelltown Baptist Church is located in Ann Street, Dundee. There is currently no information about this site.

  • Meadowside Gospel Hall, Dundee

    This plain former Gospel Hall is located at the north end of a row of three churches in Dundee's Bell Street. As with all the buildings in this row it is now owned by Dundee High School and used as halls. It is locate...


    3 photos
  • Menzieshill Parish Church, Dundee

    This church is a modern town building in Charleston Drive, Lochee. It has brick walls, with stone dressings and ornamentation. The roof has concrete tiles. The church was in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use when last vi...

    south elevation
    3 photos
  • Methven Street Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this city church, which was located in the Lochee area of Dundee.

  • Mid Craigie Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church set within a grassed area. It has harled brick walls and a concrete tile roof. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use.

    L. Thoms, J Dowling

    west elevation
    3 photos
  • Mid Wynd Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this city church.

  • Mission Hall, Dundee

    The site has been levelled and is awaiting reconstruction. A place of worship existed here, marked on a 1912 city map as a United Free Church and a Mission Hall on a 1954 OS map.

    K. Nichols, J Dowling

    View of the site where the building once stood
    2 photos
  • New Kirk, Broughty Ferry

    The East Church was built in 1865 by Andrew Heiton. It is Gothic in design, with buttresses and a squat tower. The roofs have fish-scale decoration. It is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use.

    L. Thoms,  J. Dowli...

    East elevation of the church
    18 photos
  • Ninewells Hospital Chapel, Dundee

    The chapel is situated on the ground floor of the hospital and is signposted and easily reached. A small foyer to the right of the main passageway gives entry to the square room. This foyer also contains entrances to a chaplain's of...


    4 photos
  • Nonconformist Chapel, Dundee

    This nonconformist chapel was located in the Dudhope area of Dundee. There is currently no information about the building.

  • North Wellington Street Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this town church in Dundee.

  • Ogilvie and Stobswell Parish Church, Dundee

    This town church is L-shaped and has a prominent position at a major road junction. It was built in 1874-6 and has sandstone walls and a slate roof.

    Ogilvie and Stobswell Church
    22 photos
  • Old St Paul and St David's Church, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this town church, located in the Nethergate area of Dundee.

  • Original Secession Church, Dundee

    The site of this Secession Church is now occupied by a two-storey building that is owned by the Dundee High School.

    K. Nichols


    2 photos
  • Our Lady of Good Counsel, Broughty Ferry, Dundee

    This town church has brick walls and a slate roof. It was built in 1904 by T. M. Cappon in a Gothic style. There is a tower at the western end which holds a statue of the Madonna and Child. 

    The original church is now used a...

    The church from the north-west
    14 photos
  • Our Lady of Sorrows, Fintry, Dundee

    This large modern Roman Catholic Church is located on the corner of Finlaggan Crescent and Finlarig terrace in the North of Dundee. The grounds include a small detached priest’s house to the East of the main church. The grounds slo...

    North elevation and main entrance
    15 photos
  • Our Lady of Victories, Dundee

    St Mary’s RC Church also known as Our Lady of Victories was built by Dr Keenan in the Byzantine-Romanesque style and opened in 1851. It is built of rubble and ashlar, and has a slate roof.  The twin  Art Nouveau  bel...

    VIew of the exterior
    11 photos
  • Our Lady's Chapel, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this place of worship, located in Sugarhouse Wynd, Dundee.

  • Panmure Trinity Church, Dundee

    This Gothic style building is situated on a corner site overlooking a circular public area redeveloped during the nineteenth century. It has a north-south orientation with the principal entry at the south. There are railings around the w...


    4 photos
  • Parish Servite Sisters, Pitkerro Road, Dundee

    This is a house in an urban street and is a residence or convent for a small community of Servite Sisters. It is in good condition and in use.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • Park Church, Dundee

    This is a simple spired church, built in 1898 by Leslie Ower with an octagonal plan. It is closely associated with the two-storey church hall, and the complex is situated on a tight corner site. The church hall is still in use but the ch...

    Corner Park Avenue/Morgan Street
    3 photos
  • Princes Street Church, Dundee

    This church was located on the south side of Princes Street, to the east of Wallace Street. The church was demolished some time ago, and replaced by Princes Street Surgery and flats. Housing, a car park and shops are all situated nearby....

  • Quaker Meeting House, Dundee

    This meeting house is set within a row of tenements within a crescent at the south of the city centre. The surrounding area is built up with nineteenth century tenements that are a mix of retail and residential accommodation. K. Nic...


    2 photos
  • Queen Street Church, Broughty Ferry, Dundee

    This is a town church in a street, and has sandstone walls and a slate roof. It was built in 1876 by James Maclaren and G. South Aitken, and is a well proportioned church with striped stone gables, a tall western tower and a semi-hexagon...

  • Rattray Street Baptist Church, Dundee

    This elegant square church is located on a side street off Ward Road. Due to the surrounding office premises and tenements it is now enclosed in a courtyard with car parking around.

    K. Nichols


    5 photos
  • Redfriars Hospital Chapel

    The site of the chapel is presently occupied by an Arts Centre. The hospital that butted against the medieval town walls is commerated on a plaque on the former town wall. A lintel from the well of the hospital also survices and is incor...

    full view of site
    4 photos
  • Roman Catholic Convent, Dundee

    This former convent comprises a large sandstone building. It is four or five stories high and has rows of rectangular windows. Smooth sandstone dressings surround the windows and doors. The building is no longer a convent, and is now par...

  • Roseangle Ryehill Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church on a prominent corner site, originally named St. John's Free Church. Built by architect, James Hutton it was opened 14 February 1884. The church has a tall, Gothic tower and spire, with pinnacles and narrow, round-a...

    night scene
    8 photos
  • Rosebank Gospel Church, Dundee

    This town church in Dundee's Constitution Road was built in 1871 by T S Robertson and opened as a mission church before becoming a parish church four years later.  It was sold to the Full Gospel Church in 1965 an...

    The frontage of the church on Constitution Road (photo taken by Leona Elder)
    15 photos
  • Royal Infirmary Mortuary Chapel, Dundee

    The former Royal Infirmary in Dundee had a mortuary chapel, but closed several years and has been redeveloped. More information to follow.

  • Ryehill Church, Dundee

    Ryehill church is situated on a very restricted site on the corner of Perth Road and Mid Wynd. It was designed by George Shaw Aitken in 1878 and completed in 1889.  It was originally Ryehill United Presbyterian church, then bec...

    The front elevation and tower of the former church
    5 photos
  • Salem Chapel

    This United Reform Church is a simple rectangular design, of snecked rubble and ashlar dressings with a slate roof.  It has stepped pinnacled buttresses and a central 3-light window to the front.

    Salem Chapel
    4 photos
  • Salvation Army, Marketgait, Dundee

    This modern building faces onto a busy junction of a busy inner ring road at the western edge of the city centre. Its main entrance is on the west side. K. Nichols 01/09

    full view east elevation
    7 photos
  • Seagate Church and Burial Ground, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this urban church.

  • St Aiden's Church, Broughty Ferry

    St Aiden's Church in Broughty Ferry was built by James Black in 1826, principally to serve the needs of visiting people in the summer who flocked from Dundee to the beach here at Broughty Ferry.

    St Aidan's has recently been sold ...

    View of the nave of the church
    22 photos
  • St Andrew's Parish Church

    St. Andrews stands back on rising ground. Its front garden is landscaped and leads to the junction of the Cowgate. It is enclosed on all other sides by walls of varying height and the Glasite chapel to its east. However, clear views are ...


    22 photos
  • St Andrews Cathedral, Nethergate, Dundee

    The Cathedral sits at what was the western edge of the town's almhouse that survived until the sixteenth century. It is detached with a row of tenements to its east and an Arts Centre to its west. It acts as a termination for South Tay S...

    main elevation
    17 photos
  • St Anne's Care Home, Dundee

    This was a former accademy that was converted for its present use as a home for the elderly. It has sandstone walls and a slate roof, and is in good condition.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling.

  • St Anne's Convent, Lawside Road, Dundee

    St. Anne's is a complex of buildings and uses. The site is on the southern slope of the Law. A very high wall conceals all but the roofs of the buildings. The main gate is at the southwest of the site with a pedestrian entrance to the gr...


    5 photos
  • St Blais's Chapel, Dundee

    No longer in existence, Thorter Row ran perpindicular to the Nethergate and Overgate in a northwest to southeast orientation. St. Blais chapel was sited somewhere within this street. There is no record of its architecture. The recent Ove...


    3 photos
  • St Clement's Church, Charleston, Dundee

    This is a town church in a street, and is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use.

    L. Thoms,  J. Dowling

  • St David's Church, Dundee

    The site of the former St. David's has been redeveloped as part of the Marketgait ring road. K. Nichols

    View of the church site in Dundee
    2 photos
  • St David's High Kirk

    This Gothic church is located on the slopes of Dundee Law and is further heightened by being raised above street level. A flight of steps,walled and railed, leads to the front door. The front faces south over the city. A rising path...


    2 photos
  • St Francis Friary

    This 2-storey red-brick church lies north-south with its entrance door facing a through street between two main roads into Dundee city centre. A high wall encompasses the western garden ground. The northern edge is railed and continues p...


    4 photos
  • St George's Church, Dundee

    The present site of St. George's is occupied by a modern structure that is halls of residence for Abertay University. However, the site can be located because the road layout and adjoining buildings, that are shown in past images, do sti...


    3 photos
  • BF St James Fort Street view
    10 photos
  • St John the Baptist Episcopal Church, Dundee

    This city church was designed by the Rev Edward Sugden in 1885 and consecrated the following year. Its design features a French-style roof. The sanctuary and chancel are panelled in late Gothic style, with similarities to King's College ...

  • St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Dundee

    St Joseph’s RC Church was built in 1873 and is the second oldest Catholic Church in Dundee.   It is situated on an elevated site in Wilkies Lane off Blackness Road and runs North/South between the original associated...

    Church from the south-west
    20 photos
  • South Elevation & Entrance Doors
    11 photos
  • St Luke's Church, Dundee

    This church was on the High Street until the 1960s and its image recorded within a publication. The present building on the site is part of a row of connected retail outlets. However, it does contain features reminiscent of ecclesiastica...


    1 photo
  • St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Ancrum Road, Dundee

    Situated on a main road this cruciform-plan building was constructed in 1888. It has a wide junction in front and housing to either side. Low walls with railings surround the boundary paths. There are several features that combine to mak...


    3 photos
  • St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Marshall Street, Dundee

    The exact site of the former St. Margaret's is unknown. The church was opened on 11 December 1861. The originator of the Episcopal movement in Lochee, Bishop Forbes, officiated. This 'pretty edifice' had attached schools and classro...


    1 photo
  • St Margaret's Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church in Barnhill, Dundee. It has sandstone walls and a slate roof, and is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use. 

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • St Martin's South East Church, Dundee

    This church in Harcourt Street was demolished many years ago and no other information is known at the present time.

  • St Mary Magdalene Church, Blinshall Street, Dundee

    This former Episcopal church has an east-west orientation on sloping ground at the south end of Blinshall Street. Its immediate curtilage is marked by a high stone wall. The surrounding area is re-used jute industry buildings. However, t...

  • St Mary Magdalene's Church, Constitution Road, Dundee

    This Episcopal church was built in 1867 by Charles Edward and T. South Robertson on a corner site. It is an impressive structure, Gothic revival in style with a prominent fleche. The church features an aisle and the slated roof is surmou...

    The south elevation of the church
    11 photos
  • St Mary of Namur Sisters, Dundee

    This is a small residence for a community of nuns, Sisters of St Mary. The sandstone and slate structure is in good condition and in community and ecclesiastical use.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • St Mary's Catholic Church

    This long, unusually-designed church is placed near a junction of Logie Road and commands the upper half of St. Mary's Lane. Its west elevation is at the roadside but the rest is contained within a surrounding car park. This space h...


    7 photos
  • St Mary's Church, Dundee

    The earliest church on this site was known as St. Mary’s Church and dates from the late 12th Century. It is said to have been founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon, who landed safely in Dundee after the Crusades. The Chur...

    The Old Steeple
    1 photo
  • St Mary's Episcopal Church, Broughty Ferry

    This Episcopal church was built in Broughty Ferry in 1858 by Sir George Gilbert Scott and added to in 1870, and has been described as unpretentious from the outside. The rather plain exterior hides the splendid interior, with a chancel t...

    View of the church from the NW
    16 photos
  • St Mary's Lady Chapel, Dundee

    There is currently no information about this ecclesiastical site.

  • St Mary's Parish Church, Dundee

    St. Mary’s Parish Church, Dundee, is one of four churches/former churches within the building known as the City Churches (10888

    St. Mary's Parish Church, Dundee
    17 photos
  • St Ninian's Episcopal Church, Longtown Road, Dundee

    St Ninian’s Episcopal Church is situated in Longtown Road close to the city ring road and retail and industrial units. It was built in 1938 by William Gauldie and is constructed in wet-dashed brick, now painted, and ...

    View of the font cover
    16 photos
  • St Ninian's Parish Church, Methven Street, Dundee

    This Georgian box construction sits on a corner site at the north of Locheee's High Street close to the gates of the former Camperdown mill works. With a fair amount of land around each side its western components go north up Bright St. ...


    2 photos
  • St Patricks Roman Catholic Church, Dundee

    This church was built in a wealthy area of Dundee at the time, shown by its rich carving and architecture. The main nave has relatively low walls and a large roof, with large vents and pinnacles. The buttressed entrance gable has a large...

  • St Paul's Cathedral, High Street, Dundee

    Set atop a small hillock St. Paul's is at the east edge of the city centre. In a commanding corner position it occupies the site of the former Castle. This reproduction Gothic is constructed using soft brown sandstone. K. Nichols


    18 photos
  • St Paul's Church, Meadowside, Dundee

    This stone-built church is situated at the end of a long row of tenements with its western edge circled by the Marketgait ring road. It has a north-soouth orientation. The adjoining brick buildings that are linked to the original church ...


    5 photos
  • St Peter and St Paul's Church

    Although on a roadside the church is set back within its own courtyard. On a corner plot, it consists of several extensions with a link to the previous manse. It has a north-south orientation with the front entrance reached by either thr...


    13 photos
  • St Peter's Free Church, Dundee

    The church is situated between Hawkhill and Perth Road on  Ryehill Lane.  Directly in front of it on the South (Perth Road) side is a burial ground surrounded by a low wall surmounted by wrought iron fence.  It was designe...

    View of the church from the north (photo by Leona Elder)
    8 photos
  • St Peter's McCheyne Parish Church, Dundee

    The church is situated at the Sinderins in Dundee, directly opposite the Blackness library on the corner of Perth Road and Shepherd's Loan.  It is a tight site on a major junction. The church was designed by Pilkinton and Bell and b...

    The church from the north (Photo by Leona Elder)
    8 photos
  • St Salvador's Church, Dundee

    This city church was built between 1865 and 1875 by G. F. Bodley. It was one of numerous so-called city mission churches, built for the active Bishop Alexander Penrose Forbes. The relatively simple, plain building has two roofed naves or...

  • Church from the NE
    23 photos
  • St Theresa's Roman Catholic Church, Dundee

    This former Roman Catholic Church was built in 1940 and refurbished in the 1950s. It closed as a church in 2005 and is currently redundant (2010). It is set close to buildings on its South side but has an open area of grass on its North ...

    The church from the north-west (photo by Leona Elder)
    5 photos
  • St Vincent De Paul Church, Dundee

    This is a town church with sandstone walls and a slate roof, and is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use. It was built in 1950.

  • Steeple Church, Dundee

    The Steeple Church is one of four churches/former churches within the building known as the City Churches (10888). The earliest chu...

    The Steeple Church Dundee
    9 photos
  • Strathmartine Parish Church, Dundee

    This is a town church in a street, and has sandstone walls and a slate roof. The church was built in 1843 and is a typical post-Disruption church. It is Norman in style and has a wheel window added in around 1900 by David Baxter. It is i...

  • Strathmartine Road Church, Dundee

    This church in Strathmartine Road was apparently demolished some time ago, and replaced by modern housing. No other information is available at the present time. J. Dowling

  • Tay Square Mission Buildings, Dundee

    This former church has an east-west orientation in what is now a built-up area of the city centre. Although there is a lane on either side the entrance is completely enclosed by a narrow high gate and a wall separating it from adjacent c...


    5 photos
  • The Howff Burial Ground, Dundee

    This burial ground was established in Dundee city centre in 1564, and is associated with Mary, Queen of Scots. She granted the lands of the Greyfriars north of the burgh boundary to the Council for use as a graveyard in 1564, since that ...

  • The Mary Slessor Centre

    The Mary Slessor Centre is one of four churches/former churches within the building known as the City Churches (10888). The earlies...


    10 photos
  • The Old Steeple

    The Old Steeple is one of four churches/former churches within the building known as the City Churches (10888). The earliest church on this site was known as St. Mary’s Church (1082) and dates from the late 12th Century....

    The Old Steeple
    9 photos
  • Trinity Baptist Church, Dundee

    The Trinity Baptists meet within a centre for the aged. This red brick construction faces directly south and is situated at a busy roundabout at the top of the Hilltown. The access to this building is gained via the large car park to its...


    2 photos
  • Trinity Church, Victoria Road, Dundee

    This church was built in 1877 by J. Fairlie in the French Gothic style. It is a tall, imposing town church, with a rectangular plan. The gable frontage received most decoration. It is built in rough-cut red sandstone blocks, with white s...

  • East elevation
    14 photos
  • United Associated Secessionists, Dundee

    Before moving to this site the group formerly met at a site in Lorne Street. (SCHR site 10703). It is believed that their building sat within an area marked by a red brick wall. As of autumn 2008 the land within was under redevelopm...


    2 photos
  • United Free Church, Crescent Street, Dundee

    This United Free Church in Dundee was located in Crescent Street. It was demolished some time ago and new housing was built over the site.

    J. Dowling

  • Ward Congregational Church

    With an east-west orientation only the east elevation is obviously visible, which is made more striking by being painted white. The church sits at the base of a hill close to other religious establishments and makes an excellent terminat...

    Ward Congregational Church
    17 photos
  • Wesleyan Chapel, Ward Road, Dundee

    This Methodist church was built in 1866 by David Mackenzie, and is a simple 3-bay aisled Gothic structure, with a 6-bay nave and basement halls. It is built in painted rubble, with painted ashlar dressings, and has a slate roof. The fron...

  • Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Dundee

    A chapel stood here from the 18th century but was demolished many years ago. The present site is now the entry to a retail shopping centre. An illustration of this building in a book shows the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel as ...


    2 photos
  • West Church, Broughty Ferry

    This was a town church in a street, with sandstone walls and a slate roof. It united with St. Stephen's Church and was demolished and built over some time ago.

    L. Thoms, J. Dowling

  • Whitfield Parish Church, Dundee

    This church on Haddington Crescent was opened in 1969 as part of a Church Extension charge to serve the new local authority housing area of Whitfield, constructed between 1967 and 1975.

    NE elevation showing main entrance
    9 photos
  • Williamson Memorial Unitarian Christian Church

    The current church in Dudhope Street was built in 1969 to allow the original building to be demolished to make way for the city inner ring road. The architect is unknown but is thought to be one of the Dundee Council Architects at the ti...

    Williamson Memorial Unitarian Church
    10 photos
  • Willison United Free Church, Dundee

    The site of the Willison church is now occupied by a large furniture retailer and private parking zone. It stood just to the west of the Howff burial ground near the centre of Dundee.

    K. Nichols

    The furntiure store which now occupies the site
    3 photos
  • Wishart Arch, Dundee

    The only remains of the city walls of Dundee is also where reformist preacher George Wishart conducted open air services in the mid 16th century. He was eventually burnt at the stake in St Andrews by Cardinal Beaton. The section which su...


    3 photos
  • Wishart Memorial Church, Dundee

    Completed in 1844 this Gothic Revival church is at the eastern edge of the city centre. Its principal elevation faces north and it sits on a major road into the centre. As it sits on rising ground the church is one storey high on King St...

    north elevation
    12 photos