Places of Worship in Rathven Parish in Grampian Region

  • Brethren Gospel Hall, Portessie

    There is currently little information about this Gospel meeting hall, which was located in the small fishing village of Portessie. Apparently located on Victoria Street or Stuart Street in a small, grid-like planned part of the village, ...

    Street where church was possibly located
    2 photos
  • Chapel of the Craigs, Rathven

    This is the site of a small Catholic chapel, which stood in a small, wooded valley south of Cairnfield House and its home farm. The area today is covered in scrubby woodland and thick grass and there are numerous small quarried outcrops ...

    General view of where the chapel may have been located, from the north-west
    1 photo
  • Enzie North Church, Portgordon

    This small church was originally built in the small fishing village of Portgordon in 1901, for use as a hall and for evening services. It was associated with the former Free Church nearby. It became a full church in 1930 after the other ...

    View of church from east
    22 photos
  • Enzie South Church, Rathven

    Enzie South Church was built in the 1880s on the site of an earlier church, constructed in 1785. In partnership with Enzie North Church, it served the congregation of the quoad sacra parish for most of the 20th century until it closed in...

    View of the former church from the north-east
    2 photos
  • Findochty Brethren Meeting Room

    This small meeting hall is located in a quiet street in the small fishing village of Findochty, which is clustered around its large harbour. This part of the north Moray coast has numerous coastal villages and towns. Portessie and Portkn...

    View of the building from the north
    3 photos
  • Findochty Methodist Church

    Findochty Methodist Church was built in 1916 on a prominent corner site, on high ground overlooking the large harbour of this small fishing village. Prior to the construction of this church, the congregation met in temporary accomodation...

    View of the church from the west
    6 photos
  • Findochty Parish Church

    Findochty Parish Church was originally built as a United Presbyterian Church in the 1860s. It is located on a very prominent, commanding site, on high land overlooking the small fishing village of Findochty, with high cliffs on all sides...

    View of church from south
    5 photos
  • Findochty Salvation Army Hall

    Findochty's Salvation Army Hall was originally used as a Methodist Chapel. It is located in a quiet, residential street in the grid-like layout of Findochty, a small fishing village close to the large town of Buckie on Moray's north coas...

    The hall, viewed from the north-west
    5 photos
  • Former Methodist Chapel, Portessie

    This small former chapel building is tucked away along a narrow street in a grid-like pattern of former fishermen's cottages, which border the coastline at the eastern edge of Portessie village. The building occupies a small plot of land...

    View of the former chapel from the north-west
    4 photos
  • Former Rathven Free Church

    This large former Free Church was built in the mid 19th century and remained in use until it closed in 1930. In later years the building was used as a store and latterly as a farm machinery shed. It has deteriorated significantly since i...

    View of the north-east gable
    7 photos
  • Portessie Assembly Hall

    This small meeting hall was built in the early 20th century in the small fishing village of Portessie. It is now known as the Assembly Hall and is used for prayer meetings and evening services, but may have been known by alternative name...

    View of church from north east
    4 photos
  • Portgordon Methodist Church

    This small church is located on the eastern edge of Portgordon, a small fishing village on the north coast of Moray. It is one of a number of Methodist churches that were established along the north Moray coast during the 1860s and 70s, ...

    View of the church from the south-west
    7 photos
  • Portknockie Kirkhouse

    This small former church was built in the 1830s as a Chapel of Ease, an additional church building to serve the needs of a growing or large parish congregation. This church served the needs of the expanding fishing villages of Portknocki...

    View of the church from the north
    2 photos
  • Rathven Bede House

    A hospital or Bede House was founded in Rathven in around 1225. It was a building to house and look after the ill and poor and usually associated with a monastic establishment. The Bede House in Rathven catered for, at first, a chaplain ...

  • Rathven Methodist Church

    This large town church was built in Portessie in the early 20th century to serve the needs of a growing Methodist congregation. It is located on an open corner plot at the junction of Chancellor Road and George Street, in a planned secti...

    View of church from north west
    6 photos
  • Rathven Parish Church

    Rathven Parish Church was built at the end of the 18th century to replace an earlier, medieval church nearby. The porch and vestry at the west end were added in the 1870s and the interior was recast in the 1930s. The church is located at...

    View of the church from the south-west
    16 photos
  • St Gregory's Roman Catholic Church, Preshome

    This is an important building in Scottish history. It was the first Catholic church built in the country after the 16th century Reformation that did not try to hide its true function and denomination (the Catholic faith was still outlawe...

    View of the church from the south-west
    18 photos
  • St James's Chapel, Rathven

    This small former chapel or church is located alongside a small rural road on the southern slope of Hill of Maud, a short distance south-east of Buckie. There is currently little information about the history of the building, but it woul...

    View of the former chapel
    1 photo
  • St Peter's Church and Rannas Aisle

    The remains of St Peter's Church lie within a small graveyard on the southern side of the hamlet of Rathven, a short distance south-east of the fishing town of Buckie. Open arable fields surround the church and graveyard and a small road...

    View of the graveyard and burial aisle from north
    9 photos
  • Station Road Meeting Hall, Findochty

    This small meeting hall may well have been known by other names over the years but is now called Station Road Hall. It is located in a quiet close just off Station Road, which is the main road into the small fishing village of Findochty,...

    View of the hall from the south-west
    2 photos