Places of Worship in Forres Parish in Grampian Region

  • Castlehill Church, Forres

    This large town church is located on High Street in Forres and is close to the town centre. It was originally built as a United Presbyterian Church in 1870-1 but closed as a place of worship at some point in the later 20th century. It wa...

    View of church from north east
    4 photos
  • Forres Leper House

    There is currently no information available about an apparent leper house located in or around Forres. It may have been associated with a medieval monastic site or church in the town but this cannot be confirmed.  

  • Fortreath Sarcophagus, Forres

    This is a post-medieval burial and sarcophagus, located on top of Cluny Hill, which overlooks the town of Forres to the west. It is not associated with any place of worship, past or present. 

  • Friary Site, Forres

    There is a vague reference to a Dominican Friary in a manuscript in the National Library in Edinburgh (RCAHMS), apparently associated with, or mentioned by, Archbishop Spottiswoode in 1667. There is no other evidence for this possible fr...

  • St John's Episcopal Church, Forres

    St John's Episcopal Church is located alongside the busy Victoria Road in Forres, which turns into High Street a short distance to the west. The church is just east of the town centre and across the road is the large Grant Park, a public...

    View of church from south east
    10 photos
  • St Laurence's Parish Church, Forres

    This large parish church is located on a prominent site in the centre of Forres, on the town's High Street. It stands on a raised mound which has been levelled on top but drops away steeply on the north side. The church is surrounded by ...

    View of church from south east
    11 photos
  • St Leonard's Chapel, Chapelton, Forres

    This is the site of a small, medieval chapel that is now located on the eastern outskirts of Forres in an overgrown field. There is a wooded hillside to the west of the chapel and a modern housing development has been built on the northe...

    The overgrown field in which the chapel appears to have been located
    1 photo
  • St Leonard's Parish Church, Forres

    St Leonard's Church is an early 20th century church located in the town centre of Forres on the High Street. It is a large building confined to a small plot, which can only just accomodate the church and its attached hall and kitchen ext...

    View of church from south
    14 photos
  • St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church, Forres

    This small church is located just east of Forres town centre, on High Street. It occupies a corner site in a fairly prominent and busy area of the town. It overlooks the large Grant Park to the south, which has large areas of grassland, ...

    View of church from south
    5 photos