Places of Worship in Elgin Parish in Grampian Region

  • Buinach Hill Church Site, Elgin

    A small church dedicated to St John the Baptist is said to have existed somewhere on Buinach Hill, but no likely site has ever been located. A farmer was said to have removed all of the surviving stonework to use in the construction of a...

  • Elgin and Forres Free Church

    Elgin Free Church is a fairly small but well-detailed building, located close to the town centre of Elgin. It stands on a prominent corner location with the main entrance placed on the north elevation, facing South Street. It was built i...

    View of the church from the north-west
    10 photos
  • Elgin Baptist Church

    Elgin Baptist Church stands on a small plot on the corner of two streets near the town centre of Elgin. A Baptist Church was established in the town in the early 19th century, although it is not clear whether the current church building ...

    View of the church from the south-west
    12 photos
  • Elgin Calvary Tabernacle

    This small town church is located towards the northern edge of Elgin in an area of the town known as Bishopmill. It faces a busy suburban road and there is a small area of woodland on the southern side of the church. Alongside is the Tru...

    View of the building from the south-west
    4 photos
  • Elgin Cathedral

    Elgin Cathedral, the so-called 'Lantern of the North', was founded in the 13th century on flat, fertile land on the west bank of the River Lossie. It was consecrated in 1224 by the Bishop of Caithness and grew into a very large religious...

    View of the cathedral from the south-east
    11 photos
  • Elgin Covenant Church

    This is a modern church, set within landscaped grounds with car parking space at the west end. The church is alongside a busy roundabout towards the east end of Elgin. It is not clear at this point when the church was built but it would ...

  • Elgin Dominican Friary

    A Dominican Friary, also known as Blackfriar's Monastery, was founded in Elgin in 1233-4 by King Alexander II and had gone out of use before 1570, at around the time of the Reformation. It was dedicated to St James. The location of the f...

    The area in which the friary may have been located
    1 photo
  • Elgin Former Masonic Building

    This building is part of a number of fine 18th and 19th century buildings that line High Street in Elgin. This particular building was constructed in 1728 (dated) and has been re-modelled and altered since. It once housed the local Kilmo...

  • Elgin High Church

    Elgin High Chuch is located in a prominent location on the corner of South Street and North Guildry Street, just south of the town centre. It was built as a Free Church in the 1840s but joined with the Church of Scotland in 1929 and is n...

    View of the church from the north-west
    16 photos
  • Elgin Holy Trinity Church

    Elgin Trinity is an Episcopal church situated just north of the town centre, alongside a quiet side road. It is somewhat cut-off from Elgin town centre by the later busy urban duel carriageway and the large bus station complex to the sou...

    View of the church from the south-east
    17 photos
  • Elgin Leper House

    There is currently little information about this leper house site, possibly associated with a convent or monastery in Elgin. the possible site is now within a private garden near the town centre of Elgin. 

    The possible site of the leper house
    1 photo
  • Elgin Maison Dieu Site

    Elgin at one time had a medieval Maison Dieu, which incorporated an almshouse (privately funded building to house the poor) and a chapel. It was established in the 13th century, thought to be around 1222-1237. It was burned down in the l...

    The area where the maison dieu was located, with 19th and 20th century housing
    2 photos
  • Former Church, Moss Street, Elgin

    This large former church occupies a prominent site on the corner of Moss Street and Francis Place, close to the town centre of Elgin. It was built in the mid 19th century and used to be a United Presbyterian Church, but went out of use a...

    View of the church from the south-east
    7 photos
  • Franciscan Friary Site, Elgin

    It has been suggested by some sources and historians that an early friary site was located at this site, a short distance north of the current friary and church on land between Greyfriar's Street and High Street. Some remains of medieval...

  • Greyfriars Church and Convent, Elgin

    Greyfriars Sisters of Mercy Convent is a large complex of buildings located close to Elgin Cathedral near the centre of this historic town. There is a large chapel or church, which is the focus of the Convent, and an attached H-plan rang...

    View of the church from the north-west (Photo taken by Jeff Lowndes)
    9 photos
  • Harvest Centre, Elgin City Church, Elgin

    This is a fairly new church congregation in Elgin, known as Elgin City Church. They have started to meet in a former church hall, which they have named the Harvest Centre. It is located close to the town centre of Elgin and the High Stre...

    View of the former church hall from the south
    4 photos
  • Ladyhill Castle, Elgin

    This site is not thought to be directly associated with a chapel or church, although a number of burials were uncovered in the mid 19th century. Ladyhill is a prominent hill close to the town centre of Elgin and has a number of later mon...

  • Longmorn Chapel Site

    A small 'free chapel' with its own minister is known to have existed in this location, and was called Lhan-Morgan (which has become Longmorn). It was in use until the early 17th century and the building was afterwards demolished and the ...

  • Meikle Cross, Elgin

    A section of a large cross, known as the Meikle Cross, was brought to the grounds of Elgin Cathedral in the 19th century and mounted on a modern pillar. It is not clear whether the cross is associated with the cathedral or any other plac...

  • Pans Port and Precinct Walls of Elgin Cathedral

    The Pans Port in Elgin is the only surviving medieval archway of Elgin Cathedral's precinct walls, which enclosed and protected the cathedral's extensive land and buildings which surrounded the cathedral buildings. A short section of med...

    Historic Scotland information panel with drawing of the cathedral and precinct walls
    1 photo
  • Pluscarden Abbey, Elgin, Moray

    Pluscarden Abbey is a large, well-known, functioning abbey or priory located in open countryside not far from Elgin. The main complex of buildings are surrounded by well-tended gardens, lawns and plantations of trees. A tree-lined drivew...

    View of abbey from east
    9 photos
  • Pluscarden Parish Church

    Pluscarden Parish Church was built at the end of the 19th century to serve this rural community, which did not have a local church of its own. This is because Pluscarden and the surrounding area is part of Elgin parish and the only offic...

    View of church from west
    8 photos
  • South Church, Elgin

    This large church was built in the mid 19th century in the centre of a small, planned street layout on the south side of the town centre. The church sits on a small plot and is surrounded on all sides by quiet streets. It was built as a ...

    View of the church from the north-west
    8 photos
  • Spynie Hospital Private Chapel

    This is a small, private chapel used by patients and visitors of spynie Hospital on the northern outskirts of Elgin. The hospital is a series of low, single-storey buildings laid out in open, landscaped grounds and the chapel is located ...

    The complex where the chapel is thought to be located
    1 photo
  • St Columba's Church, Elgin

    St Columba's Church is a fairly modern church, built in the early 20th century. It is located on the south side of Elgin in a fairly discreet location. Access is by a narrow side street and the street is set far back from the street, in ...

    View of the church from the north-west
    16 photos
  • St Giles' Church, Elgin

    St Giles' Church is one of Elgin's most striking landmarks and is located in the heart of the town centre, in the middle of High Street. The church we see today is not the original on the site, the history of which stretches back to the ...

    View of the west elevation
    17 photos
  • St Sylvester's Roman Catholic Church, Elgin

    St Sylvester's is a Roman Catholic church located on a quiet residential street a short distance south of Elgin town centre. It is set back slightly from the street and there is a large, attached presbytery. The church was built in the m...

    View of the church from the south-west
    6 photos
  • True Jesus Church, Elgin

    This is a modern town church, located towards the northern edge of Elgin. It is built alongside another modern church and has a large car park to the front. The church is located in an area of Elgin known as Bishopmill and is surrounded ...

    View of the church from the north-west
    3 photos