Places of Worship in Crathie and Braemar Parish in Grampian Region

  • Aberarder Mission Church, Crathie and Braemar

    This former church in the hamlet of Aberarder, Crathie, was built as a Mission Church and became a United Free Church in its later life. The original building is of uncertain date, but it is thought the church was rebuilt in 1730 and was...

    View of the church from the south
    10 photos
  • Arderg Chapel, Crathie and Braemar

    Arderg Roman Catholic Chapel dates to the 18th century, and its site was opposite Linn of Quoich. Father Charles Farquharson's is said to have used a former steading building for worship from 1745 to 1781. There are ruins of a number of ...

    The township where the chapel was located
    4 photos
  • Balanard Chapel, Invercauld

    A possible chapel site is mentioned in the 1730s by the historian/antiquarian A Keith as standing near gardens at Invercauld, east of Mar Lodge. The site has never been located and the name Balanard or Balnourd is not known locally and n...

  • Balno Roman Catholic Chapel

    This is the site of a lost chapel, whose site has never been agreed on by historians. The antiquarian A Keith mentions a 'Chappell at Aberardour' in 1732, while J Stirton, in his 1925 book, claims that the chapel was at Balno, Aberarder ...

  • Catholic Chapel, Balmoral

    A chapel at 'Balmurrel' (an early spelling of Balmoral) is mentioned as standing complete in the early 1730s but no site has been found for it and the chapel's location remains unlocated. It was near the Balmoral Castle estate, quite nea...

  • Chapel near Lui Bridge, Braemar

    A chapel in this vicinity is mentioned by both Keith and Erskine, but the exact location is uncertain and nothing on the ground has been found after a field visit. Keith called it 'Eglish-Kian-Na-Dallach' (an old church) and said it was ...

    View of the site where the chapel is thought to have stood
    1 photo
  • Chapel of the Seven Maidens, Inverey

    The Chapel of the Seven Maidens (or St Maurice's Chapel) was apparently of Catholic denomination, and was situated on flat land near to the River Dee and the River Ey, close to the small village of Inverey.  The antiquarian  A ...

    The area where the chapel is likely to have been located
    3 photos
  • Crathie and Braemar Parish Church

    Crathie and Braemar Parish Church was built in 1869-70 and was originally a Free Church. It replaced an earlier Free Church on the site, which was built in 1845 before being taken down and rebuilt in Aberarder. The ch...

    View of the church from the north-west
    25 photos
  • Crathie Parish Church

    Crathie Parish Church was built in the 1890s by the well-known architect A. Marshall Mackenzie and replaced an early 19th century church on the same site. The church is located on a small flat platform on a steep south-facing hillside ab...

    View of the church from the north-west
    25 photos
  • Danzig Shiel Chapel, Ballochbuie

    This church is only known about by documentary and map evidence, and no site has yet been found. The antiquarian A Keith notes a chapel in this area in the 1730s but other sources point to other areas, including near where the Queen's Da...

  • First Crathie United Free Church

    Crathie United Free Church was built in 1853 and was in use until 1896. The church was thought to have had harled granite walls and a slate roof. The building was demolished some time ago (date unknown) and nothing now remains on the sur...

    The area in which the church is thought to have stood
    1 photo
  • Former Braemar Parish Church

    This former parish church was built on the outskirts of Braemar in 1832 and extended nearly 50 years later. The church sits in small garden grounds and is bounded by two roads. The church was originally Church of Scotland before becoming...

    The church from the north
    6 photos
  • Humanae Vitae House, Braemar

    Humane Vitae House in Braemar was built in 1795 and was originally a Roman Catholic chapel. In 1839 it became a Roman Catholic school, called St. Andrew's. This lasted until 1976. In 1985 it became a Pro-Life Prayer, Study and Conference...

    View of the former chapel from the south-west
    3 photos
  • Second Crathie United Free Church

    Crathie United Free Church was built in 1896 to replace the earlier United Free Church (see separate site). It had granite walls and a slate roof. It closed for worship many years ago and was later used as a hall. It is thought the build...

    Possible site of the church, now a private house
    1 photo
  • St Andrew's Chapel, Crathie and Braemar

    St Andrews Chapel is thought to be the earliest dedication to St Andrew in Scotland. It was located in what is now the graveyard of Braemar, just east of the village and near to Braemar Castle and an early river crossing, common in early...

    The mausoleum which occupies the site of the chapel
    2 photos
  • St Andrew's Roman Catholic Church, Braemar

    St Andrew's Roman Catholic Church was built in 1839 in a fairly large area of ground, encorporating an attached presbytery (built in 1864) and garden. It is located west of the village centre and is reached by a long driveway. There is n...

    View of the church and presbytery from the south
    15 photos
  • St Colmoc's Chapel, Crathie and Braemar

    St Colm's or (or St Valentine's) Chapel in Abergeldie is a small, ruined structure, located on a prominent mound in a field near to an ancient crossing point of the River Dee. The chapel is near to Abergeldie Castle and Clachenturn, the ...

    View of the chapel site from the north
    10 photos
  • St Manir's Church, Crathie

    St Manir Church and burial ground is a pre-Reformation site in Crathie. The church stands close to the banks of the River Dee with a farm steading to the west. The church is now ruined, with only the granite walls partially surviving. Th...

    View of the church from the south
    5 photos
  • St Manir's Stone and Burial Ground

    St. Manir's Stone and Burial Ground is situated on rising rough ground north of the River Dee, east of Crathie. The site is recorded on the Ordnance Survey First Edition map (c1860) as part of a large depopulated settlement or farmtown c...

    View of stone from north
    6 photos
  • St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Braemar

    St Margaret's Episcopal Church stands on a prominent, raised site, overlooking the village of Braemar. It was built by Sir J Ninian Comper over 8 years from 1899 in an English Gothic Revival style, and is considered a very fine and impor...

    The west gable of the church
    36 photos
  • St Michael's Chapel, Crathie and Braemar

    There is little information known about this Catholic chapel. It was located on the outskirts of Braemar, on Chapel Brae. Local residents are confident that the chapel was built over some time ago or converted into a house, possibly by t...

    Possible site of St Michael's Chapel
    1 photo
  • St Ninian's Chapel, Mar Lodge, Braemar

    St Ninian's Chapel is located in the grounds of Mar Lodge, a hunting lodge and the residence of the Duke and Duchess of Fife. The lodge and chapel are located in a rural setting, south of a steep hillside and close to the road through th...

    View of the chapel from the the south
    9 photos
  • The Chapel of the Holy Family, Braemar

    The Chapel of the Holy Family is a Roman Catholic chapel in the outskirts of Braemar. It was converted from a derelict steading and was completed in 1991. It was used for private worship but appears to be a currently redundant gallery (2...

    View of the buildings from the north-east
    4 photos
  • Tomintoul Catholic Chapel, Crathie and Braemar

    A chapel is mentioned by a number of historical sources as being located on the north side of Morven Hill. The exact location is not known. Erskine claims the chapel was called 'Att Tom-na-taul' and was complete in the early 1730s. Anoth...