Places of Worship in Alves Parish in Grampian Region

  • Alves Old Parish Church, Moray

    This is the former parish church of Alves and was built in the 1760s on the site of (or close to) an earlier, medieval church. It is located in a fairly small graveyard which pre-dates the church, a short distance north of Alves village....

    View of church from south
    9 photos
  • Alves Parish Church

    Alves Parish Church dates to the mid 19th century and was originally built as a Free Church. It was extensively refurbished and had a new roof added in the 1870s. The church stands in small grounds alongside a quiet, rural road and the l...

    View of church from north west
    5 photos
  • Cross Site, Alves

    A reference is made to a standing cross located close to a church in Alves parish (presumably the Old Parish Church but this is not certain) in an early 20th century book (Macfarlane, 1906-8). It may be associated with a historic place o...

  • Forleath Mausoleum

    A private burial enclosure or mausoleum to the Forleath family is located in the grounds of Alves Old Parish Church but is not directly associated with a place of worship itself. There has been a church on this site for hundreds of years...

  • Hill of Greeny Chapel Site

    There is a reference in an early 20th century publication (Macfarlane, 1906-8) to an early chapel or church, which was located in the middle of a field on a small knoll or mound. There was said to be many stones at the site. However, the...

    The area in which the chapel may have been located
    1 photo
  • Knock of Alves Early Church

    Mention is made of an early church being located at the summit of Knock of Alves hill (Mackintosh, 1924), possibly a Culdee church. However, no other sources have been found to support this theory and a site visit by the Ordnance Survey ...

    The York Tower and summit of the hill today, thought to be the site of an early church
    1 photo
  • Monaughty Cross Site, Alves

    A standing stone cross is mentioned in an early 20th century book (Macfarlane, 1906-8), located on the roadside close to Alves Old Church. However no further evidence for the cross has been found and it would appear not to be directly as...