Places of Worship in Auchterderran Parish in Fife Region

  • Auchterderran Old Parish Church

    This church is said to have been constructed in 1059 and is the earliest known church on this site,   However, it is very likely that people had been using the location for worship for hundreds of years.   The church ...


    3 photos
  • Auchterderran St. Fothad's Parish Church

    This church is on a low hill, which slopes to the south down towards the Derran Burn, on a corner site between Woodend Road and Balgreggie Road in Auchterderran.    Originally there was a large rectangular medieval church ...


    36 photos
  • Bowhill Baptist Church

    Bowhill Baptist Church was built on a residential street in Auchterderran in 1907, near to St Ninian's Roman Catholic Church. Little more information is currently available about the church and its history, but it was demolished in ...


    2 photos
  • Church of Christ, Auchterderran

    This small former church was built in the early part of the 20th century and was used by the Church of Christ from the 1960s. It is located in a residential area in Bowhill, on Orebank Road. The frontage and entr...


    10 photos
  • Cross and Passion Convent

    The Cross and Passion Convent is a large rectangular building set back from Station Road, Lochgelly, almost directly opposite to St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church. The date of the convent building is unclear, although the earlier Roman...


    3 photos
  • Keir's Brae, Graveyard and Chapel

    A chapel of uncertain date is said to have existed at this location, along with a small graveyard. The site is near the top of a hill in a small woodland plantation called Keir's Brae, surrounded by farmland with Cardenden just to t...

    Pre-excavation photo of site
    4 photos
  • Lochgelly Baptist Church

    Lochgelly Baptist Church was built in 1910 on a hillside and alongside a busy road through the town. It sits within fairly small grounds with a stepped wall and entrance gate and is surrounded by a mixture of 20th century housing. The co...

    View of site
    10 photos
  • Lochgelly House Chapel

    There is currently little information available about Lochgelly House and its private chapel. It was a large mansion house, which was the seat of the Earl of Minto in the 19th century. The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-5) commente...

  • Salvation Army Hall, Lochgelly

    This Salvation Army building in Lochgelly is prominently located on a corner plot between Auchterderran Road and Whyte Street. There is a retaining wall to the street and a small area of grassland to the rear of the b...


    6 photos
  • St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church

    St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church is set well back from the road in a large walled precinct which also contains a presbytery and a hall.   The surrounding area is covered in either tarmac or grass. The church which was constr...


    10 photos
  • St. Andrew's Parish Church

    St. Andrews Parish Church, which was constructed in 1854-55 as a chapel of ease, sits back from the road in a walled precinct, which also contains a hall at the east end. Originally rectangular in shape, broad north and south aisles were...


    9 photos
  • St. Finnian's Church, Lochgelly

    St Finnian's Church is located on the busy road between the west end of Lochgelly and the small village of Lumphinnans, and overlooks a golf course and park land to the north. There is modern housing to the south. The church borders...


    8 photos
  • St. Fothad's Parish Church

     

    This church, which was on Carden avenue, was originally called The Mission Church but was then renamed St. Fothad's Parish Church after Saint Fothad. Constructed in 1909-10 under plans of architect Willi...


    5 photos
  • St. Ninian's Church

    This 1932 Roman Catholic Church is by architect Reginald Francis Joseph Fairlie.    It sits in its own walled precinct set back from the road, and the presbytery is also located here.    


    7 photos
  • St. Patrick's Church (demolished)

    The first St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church in Lochgelly was built in 1877 in the north of the town. St Patrick's Primary School, which dates from 1909, was built just to the south of the church. The present St Patrick's Church in Lochg...


    2 photos
  • St. Serf's Lochgelly

    Originally Lochgelly Free Church, this building  was constructed in 1857-58 on plans of the architect Mr. Downie of Kirkcaldy.    It is in an elevated position above the road and sits in a walled precinct which contai...


    10 photos